Chapter 18

Lucas

Two prophecies were told and one has already been proven true. 

Does the princess know the prophesy?

The Captain of the Guard thought deeply as he watches the frightened princess run away from her father.

There were only four people knew of the prophecy. Himself, Edmund, Elaine's mother, and the oracle.

Perhaps he was thinking it too hard. His king threatened the child by killing her during their first meeting at the library. That's must have engraved on the princess's heart that's why she felt being sentenced to death when she saw Lucas this morning.

He ordered one of the guards near the Emerald Palace to follow the princess before walking towards Edmund.

"To think of receiving a gift from the person who should be the one be receiving, I'm quite jealous," Lucas said looming down at his king. "Why didn't you wake up?"

The king of Luville opened his eyes and held the flower that the princess received from Art. "She didn't wake me up," he said eying the crowned flower. "She made. . . this?"

"She did."

He stood up holding the flower carefully without destroying the petals.

Lucas bet that his king wasn't aware of his action.

After they encountered the princess near the north gate, where a lot of his men were wounded from a demon attack, something had changed. It's little but Edmund changed.

"What are you giving to the princess, majesty?" Lucas asked.

"What?"

"Gift to Princess Elaine."

"Nothing." Edmund gave him a look that says 'You should have already known'.

The king changed a little, just a little. . .

Perhaps receiving a gift from the king was not a good idea. Seeing how scared the princess was, she might even pass out if she received one.

Lucas smiled at Edmund who furrowed his brows in response.

"Should I give the princess a present then?" He asked.

Edmund glanced at the crown he was holding then turned his back at Lucas. Before walking away he said nonchalantly, "Do whatever you want."

"Th-then I would like to not be killed today"

Princess Elaine really does fear of the king, Lucas thought remembering the word from the princess.

"That child," Edmund spoke as they entered the Emerald Palace. "She's afraid of me."

Edmund didn't saw how surprised Lucas was. It's nothing to be shocked of, since everyone in this palace even him was afraid of the ruler of this kingdom.

But to think that the king spoke it out loud the obvious was something.

"She begged me not to kill her," Edmund continued.

"You did tell her you'll kill her, twice," Lucas said in a tone of matter-of-fact.

"In exchange, she'll vanish when she turns 18."

Mmhm. . ? Vanish? Why tell in detail?

Lucas was deciding if he should keep an eye of the princess who had piqued his interest.

"She then apologizes. . .for taking Selene's life." Against the cold voice from the king's word, Lucas could hear the pain. "Make sure no one will disturb me until tomorrow."

"Of course, your majesty," Lucas said placing his fist over his chest and bowed at his broken king.

Today was the Queen's death anniversary.

He watched Edmund disappear in the hallway. "My king, are you going to change your and your daughter's destiny?" He whispered to the empty hall.

A daughter who will die in the hands of her father.