19

Calix pushed the bedroom door open, holding a bowl of ice cream covered in caramel sauce. He handed it to Kegan before sitting across from him on the bed.

"I didn't poison it," Calix said when Kegan didn't make a move to eat it.

Kegan nodded and took a bite, the sweetness making him feel a bit better than he had before. "Thank you," he whispered.

They sat in silence until Kegan finished and placed the bowl on the night stand. He looked up at Calix, knowing what was coming.

"I'm going to ask you some questions, okay?" Calix asked, trying to ignore how tense and uncomfortable Kegan seemed.

He would rather appease his mate and not pester him with questions about things he didn't want to talk about, but it needed to be done. Calix needed to know why he was so afraid and he needed to know what he was working with in order to start fixing it.

"Okay," Kegan whispered, not making eye contact.

"What did they do you that made you so afraid of me?"

Kegan sighed. "At the Red Claw pack Omegas are hated and treated like nothing. The Alpha hates all of us, but he hates me even more than the rest and I don't know why," he said, hoping that was a good enough answer.

Calix raised an eyebrow. "He hurt you, didn't he?"

Kegan nodded. "He and the other Alphas. Even some Betas. We are objects for abuse."

"Were," Calix corrected, emphasizing the word. "You are not an object and you will not be abused here. Now tell me about how you ended up in the North River pack. I know some of it, but you didn't tell me everything."

"I was a gift for Alpha Leon," Kegan said with a shrug. "His mate died some time ago and he... he needed heirs."

Calix snarled at the words.

"I didn't mean to let him! I promise I tried to fight him off!" Kegan cried, terrified that Calix would finally make the choice to reject him.

"I am not mad at you," Calix promised, though he was still glaring. "I'm mad at myself."

"Why? You didn't betray your mate," Kegan said bitterly, hating himself for not being able to stop what had happened.

"I should've looked for you. I've had the ability to look for you and find you, but I was too wrapped up here, thinking that you'd just come to me," Calix claimed, looking ashamed and angry with himself. "It's all my fault."

"No it's not! Stop!" Kegan snarled, Jade pressing him to stop their mate from hating himself for something he couldn't stop. "It's not your fault and I never tried to escape."

"You should never have had to worry about escaping," Calix said, tears coming to his eyes.

"Holy shit," Kegan thought.

"What?" Jade asked, distraught and trying to find a way to help their Alpha calm down.

Kegan gaped at the tears falling down Calix's face. "He actually cares... he wouldn't cry unless he did..."

"Yeah, he fucking cares! Now do something to stop him from crying!"

Kegan assured Jade he would, before grabbing Calix's face in his hands. "It's okay," he cooed, trusting his Omega instincts and releasing soothing pheromones. "It's not your fault."

Calix buried his face into Kegan's chest, letting himself sob. "I'm sorry," he choked out, convinced that it was his fault that Kegan wasn't saved earlier.