Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

Chapter 5: Small Talk with the Devil (Apprentice)

"I'm gonna go out to run and let myself get absolutely soaking wet!"

I watched in shock as none other than Eve the devil's apprentice popped up on my passenger seat, singing along to the song playing on my car in all eagerness. Her tail creeped up to my cheek, and I swatted it away. Her square shoulders bobbed in time with the music.

It's raining men! Hallelujah!

It's raining men! Every specimen!

Eve swayed her body in time with the beat. I watched as her hair bounced along with her movements. I didn't know how I should react to the scene before me. It was such a bizarre scenario, and I didn't have an appropriate social response hidden away in my system for this. How would you react to the devil singing along to The Weather Girls in the passenger seat of your car?

"Tall, blonde, dark and lean. Come on! I know you know this song," the devil's apprentice sang, ignoring my puzzled face as she encouraged me to sing along. I clenched my fist, my body twitching in protest at the way I prevented the rhythm from taking over me. Each second that my favorite verse neared, I lost each bit of my resolve. Until it came. I flung my hands towards me, careless, not able to hold myself back anymore. What the hell, I fucking loved this song.

Rough and tough and strong and mean

"God bless Mother Nature!" I sang out, joining in on Eve's little dance party. "She's a single woman too."

She took off to heaven and she did what she had to do

Eve laughed, closing her eyes and singing the song in irony, I'd bet. Her voice had a pleasant lilt that made my heart flutter. "She taught every angel, she rearranged the sky."

So that each and every woman could find her perfect guy

"It's Raining Men! Yeah!" We both sang together before moving our bodies during the intermission of the song, a sight puzzling to any observers from the very public parking lot I had my car parked in. I didn't care. I would jam to this song and out-lip-sync anyone who dared challenge me.

Cause tonight for the first time

Just about half-past ten

For the first time in history

It's gonna start raining men!

"It's raining men! Hallelujah!" I sang my heart out, pulling Thing on to my lap in my joy and moving her little paws to dance with me. Eve regarded me with a puzzled look, as if she had never seen a cat dancing before. What a curious phenomenon she was indeed.

It's raining men! Amen!

I lip synced to the rest of the chorus, losing myself to the classic song and watching Eve do the same gaily. The car swayed, curious and gentle. For a split second I thought I saw a glimpse of a very genuine joyful smile coming from her face so devoid of the usual cruel and benevolent smirks she was so accustomed to giving me. That was when I saw Eve as she was: strikingly beautiful. Music took over then.

She taught every angel

She rearranged the sky

Hallelujah!

The song finished and we burst out into giggles, me clutching my stomach. I was almost hunched over from the ridiculousness of the situation while the devil beside me threw her head back and laughed her dark heart out. What an interesting sound.

"I love singing songs out of irony," Eve declared, slinking back into her seat and looking at me with a knowing glint in her eyes. "Speaking of, how did you like your raining men, huh?"