Chapter 8: Finding Nico

Drawing by HeyElios

Hermione POV

It has been an alright start to the day. Nothing particularly out of the ordinary.

I woke up and got to breakfast twenty minutes early to add some touch ups to my potions homework. As I wait, Ron and Harry sluggishly join me. Nico is later than usual, trudging into the hall a few minutes into breakfast and immidetaly glaring at the food in front of him.

But then it's time for mail. I receive my issue of the Daily Prophet, and Ron receives a letter from his parents. A look across the hall tells me Nico has just received more mail than I've ever seen him receive before. Good for him.

I start reading the Prophet, trying to find anything worth reading. No... No... Doesn't seem like it...

"STOP TOUCHING ME!"

My head snaps up to look at where the yell comes from. Across the room, Nico flings a little first year off of him, making him stumble back into the wall. Nico gets up, quickly making his way out of the Great Hall.

Ron, Harry and I silently get up, knowing we have to follow him. So we do, rushing out of the hall. But he's nowhere in sight. How had he moved that fast.

"We have to find him. He couldn't have gone far." I say, feeling nervousness curl in my stomach.

"Let's split up." Ron suggests.

"Good idea." I nod and we split up. Harry heads outside, I go right and Ron goes left.

After many minutes, we still had yet to find a trace of him and met back up in the entrance hall.

"I can't find him." I shake my head, feeling more and more anxious.

"Me neither," Ron says.

"I think he's outside," Harry says. "I just... can feel it."

Ron and I exchange a look.

"It's the only lead we have." Ron shrugs, and I have to admit he's right. So we head outside and are once again stumped.

"Maybe Hagrid's seen him."

"Good idea, Harry." I let him lead the way, keeping an eye out in case I saw our friend.

When we reach Hagrid's hut, Harry raises his hand to knock. That is, until Ron flings his arm across us, almost knocking Harry off the steps.

"What-" Harry starts, only to be shushed by Ron, who points into the forest.

A bit back into the trees, a figure sits on the ground. The faintest sound of crying drifts to my ears, heart-wrenching sobs. It's Nico.

We quietly make our way closer to him, but he doesn't notice us. He's curled up in a little ball, the area around him seeming much colder and darker than the rest of the forest.

"Nico?" I ask, placing my hand gently on his shoulder. His flinch is intense, moving his whole body with it.

"Nico?" I crouch down next to him, trying to get a better look at him. I've never seen him this vulnerable, this upset.

"Nico!" He flinches again, but this time he looks at me, eyes unfocused and face streaked with tears.

"What?" His voice is raw and scratchy.

"Nico, are you alright? What's wrong?" I ask, gently stroking his hair. He looks as if he's trying to respond, but just breaks down again. He tries to cover his face to no avail.

I wrap my arms around him, sitting down on the forest floor. "Oh, Nico."

He clings to me as he cries. Whatever upset him must have been horrible. Harry and Ron sit down around us, awkwardly trying to help comfort him. Nico is aware of none of this.

Hello. I'm not dead. I'm sorry for such a long wait. Everything that has been going on as well as online school has been making it very hard to focus on anything.

Thank you for your patience.

Love you Matchsticks.

Peace out,
Sammy

Also, would it be alright with y'all if I try writing the next chapter in 3rd person pov instead of first?