Chapter 61

Childbirth

“Sasha, you’re doing great…!”

While gently holding Sasha’s hand, I utter words of encouragement. As expected of the second childbirth, everyone in the mansion is well-prepared. Sasha, too, is more relaxed now than during her first childbirth, but nevertheless, giving birth to new life is still quite mentally and physically demanding.

The room made for the delivery had been further renovated for Sasha, so it should be more comfortable than during her first childbirth. Even so, Sasha looked to be enduring the pain with a brave smile on her face as she responded to me.

“It’ll be all right… there’s much less pain this time, and my Lord is by my side…”

“Sasha… That’s right. I’m by your side, after all.”

“Yes…”

I have no recollection of being present during childbirth in either my previous life’s memories or in Callis’, so this is a first for me. Even so, if it helps Sasha even a little bit, I’d do anything.

It seems that in some countries, the father being present during childbirth is a breach of manners, but there’s no such custom here. That’s why I can stay by Sasha’s side and support her during this. I’ll finish my work later. Laurier was here until some time ago, too, but as it was time for her classes, she had to leave for a bit. Well, because Mother is here in the mansion as well, and can look after Laurier, I can stay here and support Sasha with peace of mind.

Like that, Sasha persevered for several hours. Then suddenly, Sasha’s tense body slackened, and I could see the midwife holding a newborn baby.

“Congratulations! It’s a girl.”

“All right—!”

I mentally shouted those words and took a guts pose in my mind while holding Sasha’s hand, but before I could celebrate too much, the midwife spoke again.

“Ah, there’s still another one.”

“Huh? A- another one?”

“Yes~. It seems you’re fathering twins~.”

‘Hahaha—,’ the midwife chuckled. Eh? Twins? Seriously? Certainly, with this world’s level of technology, they wouldn’t be able to tell beforehand, but… eh? Seriously? Sasha’s been carrying twins?

As I somehow sorted out my confusion, I once again squeezed Sasha’s hand and spoke.

“Sasha, keep at it for just a while longer…!”

“Yes…”

Sasha wore a brave smile throughout while I gently held her hand and encouraged her again and again. Before long, the second child was safely delivered, and with a smile, the midwife spoke.

“Congratulations! A healthy girl and boy.”

There, cradled in the midwife’s arms, were my two new children. That’s right, ‘my children.’ Laurier is, of course, also my child, but these two are the first children that I’ve fathered since ‘I’ became Callis. I don’t know what I’m thinking about right now, but as I involuntarily burst into tears, I squeezed Sasha’s hand and said.

“Thank you, Sasha… Thank you so much for bringing two new lives into our family…!”

“Yes…”

After she spoke, I noticed Sasha was in tears as well. I almost reflexively hugged her then and there, but because there’s still something Sasha needs to do, I instead quietly held her hand and enjoyed this happy moment with her.

Twins! A boy and a girl. Congratulations to everyone who guessed correctly! (^^)