[12] Arena

Stepping onto the ring, you come face-to-face with your opponent, all the while doing your best to ignore the comments and shouts of the audience telling you to back down and run. You look up to see the face of the burly man. He wore the biggest, condescending scowl you've ever seen. A strong feeling told you he felt underestimated since he had to fight a kid, which was you.

"Listen here, I won't hold back on you, even if you're a kid, so back down now while you still can," he grits his teeth. You only smile back at him, unfazed by his intimidating nature. After all, you've met far worse people. 

"Backing down will be the last thing I do," you say casually and calmly, a soft, kind smile gracing your features. Your calm demeanor seemed to have caught your opponent off guard. Thankfully though, the referee interrupts your exchange.

"Here, on the first floor, we appraise each participant's level. You're only allowed 3 minutes to demonstrate your prowess," he explains. You nod at him in understanding.  

"Then... begin!" He raises his arm to signal the start of the fight.

Your opponent only snickers at you, "You asked for this. Don't expect me to pay for your hospital bills," he smirks haughtily, deftly cracking the joints of his hands and neck. You patiently wait for him to start as you hear each resounding pop coming from his joints.

Then, he quickly lunges forward, his fist going straight for your face. However, you saw each of his movements as clear as day, as you dodge his punch effortlessly. 

'He's so slow,'  You remark to yourself, remembering Killua's swift and agile movements. After dodging his punch, you notice he left his side unguarded, so before he can retract his fist, you delivered a swift kick to it. Like a bullet, he goes flying out of the ring and into a wall. You can faintly see him cough up some blood as he falls to the ground in pain.

You were surprised at your own attack, as you feel your eyes widen at your defeated opponent. 'Since when did I become so strong?'

After everything sunk in, you sighed in satisfaction. Feeling the thrill of winning a fight. You try to ignore the shouts of praise from that same audience who belittled you as you look up at the stands to look for Killua and Alluka. Soon enough, you spot them. You smile and wave at them as Killua gives you a casual thumbs up. Meanwhile, Alluka was smiling brightly and clapping at your victory.

"#1388, proceed to floor 50," the referee says, handing you a slip of paper. You take it and give him a small, grateful smile, before proceeding back to where Killua and Alluka are.

"Onee-chan! You did great!" she exclaims brightly, hugging you tightly. You feel your breath slowly getting knocked off your chest at the tightness of her hug.

"Thanks, you're getting pretty strong too," you hug her back, patting her back as you did so.

After pulling back from the hug. You, Killua and Alluka leave the Arena to claim your prize money.

"(Y/N), which floor are you going to?" Killua asks, looking at the piece of paper the referee gave you. 

You proudly smile, showing the slip of paper. "Floor 50!"

"Oh, not bad," he smiles wryly.

"Not bad?! That's it? I did pretty well  didn't I?" You pout, crossing your arms over your chest. Killua only gave you a smug smirk.

"Yeah, yeah, you did pretty averagely," he remarks teasingly, looking at you through the corner of his eye for your reaction. He smirked when he saw a look of irritation cross your features. 

"You--! Just you watch, Killua! I'm gonna make you proud of me one day!" You declare, pointing a finger at him. You then march forward ahead of them without looking back.

Killua only stares at your back, a warm smile crossing his face, as he tightens his grip on Alluka's hand.

'Stupid. I'm already proud of you.' 

_ _ _

After claiming your prize money, you eagerly tear the envelope open to count your earnings.

"152 Jenny, seriously?" You sigh in disappointment, pocketing the loose change.

"Yeah, on the first floor, win or lose, you only get enough for a canned drink, but beyond that, a loss gets you nothing," he explains.

"Well, you earn more as you go, right?"

"Of course. A win in the 50s nets you 50,000."

Your eyes widen. "Woah, that's a big gap."

He nods. "In the 100s, wins are worth a million. Once you're past the 150th floor, you get ten million a pop," he continues explaining, ignoring yours and Alluka's evident shock.

"Y-You've been to the 200s haven't you? How much do you earn there?" You ask. Alluka nods at your question eagerly, wanting to know as well.

"You don't get anything past the 200s, the fights there are all about glory," he explains. "But it's still worth going there. Every fighter there knows how to use Nen. It's good training."

"Aww, no reward?" You hear Alluka's disappointment as her shoulders slump. You smile fondly at her, before turning back to Killua. "Every fighter there knows Nen, huh... quite interesting," you comment. "Well, how about in the 190s?" You ask.

"In the 190s, you get 200 million," he simply says.

"Oh my god..." you stare at him in disbelief, as your jaw drops. "You've been here before, right? Where'd the money go?"

Killua sighs dejectedly. "I lost nearly all of it in Yorknew with Gon. I made some bad decisions while trying to auction things off."

You laugh incessantly, crossing your arms over your stomach. "Killua, I didn't know you were so bad at handling money!"

"Oh, shut up. That was nearly 2 years ago. I handle things much better now," he argues, a vein popping on his forehead in irritation.

Meanwhile, Alluka sweatdrops as she once more watches more of your bickering.

_ _ _

"You should probably head to the waiting room, (Y/N)," Killua suggests after things calmed down. "You didn't take any damage in the last fight, so they'll probably assign you another match today."

"Yes! I get another fight!" You ball your hands into fists in excitement. "How about you guys? What are you gonna do now?" You ask them.

"It's time for Alluka's training with me and Wing, so we better go ahead. We'll see you back at Wing's," he says, turning his back on you and waving. You wave back before going to the waiting room.

By the time you returned, you had already advanced to the 70s.