[2] Misunderstanding

Dressed in an off the shoulder, long-sleeved cross over top tucked into my black skinny jeans and a pair of black heels, I step out the back door of my family home and make my way out onto the grass. My long blonde hair is out and curled and my makeup flawless, but none of that matters today.

As I stop by one of the large trees I lean against it for a moment, only a short distance away from my family and friends and I take all them in for a second. As I do, I can't help but notice how sad they all look, especially my father Andre.

I know that today is meant to be a day of memorial, but sometimes I wonder if the 'dress in all black' is a little mournful. Sure we all miss Jackson horribly, but this isn't what he would want for us, he would want the memory of his life to be a celebration, not another funeral year after year.

Today marks two years since his death; two years since he was gunned down in my family's driveway whilst returning my father's car; two years since he was taken from his wife Charlotte and their two children, Logan and Ruby.

I know my father blames himself for his death, I know it's a burden he carries on his shoulders every day and as much as we try to tell him it's not his fault, he doesn't believe it. Not only was he murdered returning my father's car, but the bullet they found in his chest also had my father's name engraved on it.

That bullet was meant for my father.

"You okay?" My cousin Amelia, or Millie as we sometimes call her, questions as she makes her way over.

My eyes look up and meet hers, she's dressed in tight black jeans, heels, and a long-sleeved chiffon top. Her long black hair is out and dead straight, minimal makeup, because she's so pretty she doesn't need it and don't even get me started on those naturally full lips, which I would kill for.

"Yeah I'm fine, everything just seems a little drab and too sad," I state aloud.

"Too sad?" Another female voice enquires from behind us, and I know who it belongs to, Ruby.

Ruby is another stunning addition to the family (in the way of a family friend), she has long, light brown hair that matches her skin tone and big green eyes the same as her brother's, and her late father Jackson. She has a very innocent look about her as well as always looking happy, except for right now, she doesn't look happy at all, she looks pissed.

I open my mouth to speak, but she starts talking right away. "Too sad? Really Bella? Of course it's sad. My father died two years ago from a bullet that was meant for your father; he's gone, he's never coming back, and that's what you have to say?"

"Ruby, I ...."

"I'm sorry that it isn't all rainbows and glitter, like everything else in your perfect life, but some of us are still hurting and some of us are still grieving," she snaps.

"Ruby, you didn't let me finish," I try to reason, in vein.

"Save it! You're a horrible person, you know that? A spoilt, entitled little cow, who gets everything she wants. You even get to keep your father, who we all know should've been in Dad's place; but hey, at least everything in your life is perfect," she walks away.

I take a deep, shaky breath and turn to Amelia, not even knowing what to say.

"Woah, what the hell was all that about?" Armani questions, as she makes her way over. Amarni is Amelia's equally stunning identical twin sister, one thing making them appear different is Marni has a sleeve of tattoos, as well as other tattoos on the side of her shoulder and chest.

"It was just a misunderstanding," Amelia tells Marni, before turning to me once again. "Don't take it to heart, she's just hurting," she rubs my arm gently.