Chapter 52

The sound of the cutleries echoed across the enormous hall. But everyone was silent, as though it was a crime to make the most imperceptible sound that even the servants looked like tiptoeing when approaching the long table, especially when they serve His Majesty. His figure was sitting impassable on the head of the table, his shoulders broad but obviously tensed and his jaws set. Among them on the table, the Princess Mother would issue casual commentaries from time to time, about the food and how amazing the chef was or how efficient the kitchen was, to try to engage everyone, especially His Majesty, in a conversation, which didn’t exactly pan out because His Majesty was mostly non-committal. Jennie thought the effort from Lisa’s mother was mainly to try to break the ice and she appreciated it so much that she would offer the Princess Mother a grateful smile whenever their eyes would met.

Dinner wouldn’t have been as tensed, in Jennie’s opinion, had Lisa been there joining them in the cavernous dining hall. But no. The woman chose to sulk somewhere inside her enormous palace and from what she overheard from the hushed conversation between the butler and the Princess Mother before dinner had started, when the concerned mother was inquiring with worried look on her face, was that Lek tried to persuade the Princess to “come down and join dinner” repeatedly but was only responded with persistent silence from the other side of the door. Which door, Jennie didn’t know. But what Jennie was grateful enough for, however, despite the situation and despite her being on the edge of her seat while waiting for His Majesty to finally address her about the promised of a private talk with him, was knowing that Lisa did not leave the palace grounds -- was not able to, specifically -- owing, of course, to the fact that she was barred to do so by the King’s guards outside.

Anyway, this wasn’t what Jennie had hoped would happen and had been looking forward to tonight. She had been hoping for a productive meeting with the monarchs by the end of the day, with the issues being addressed to and resolutions being laid out on the table. She was also hoping to spend more time with Lisa later, that, in fact, she was secretly anticipating that she would be given additional private tours in the palace, with Lisa indulging her of her tales when she was still just a young princess living in colossal palaces, before she would return to Korea tomorrow. But then again, Jennie thought she could never blame Lisa for reacting that way and for storming out after when they both heard what Hus Majesty had said. Especially after their talks in the study before they decided to go down and join their parents again in the drawing room.

“I told your father I’m in love with you,” Jennie said, flustered in the face. She was catching her breath after pulling from the kiss that escalated rather quickly, with their hands all over each other and with the temperature rising and their hot breaths fanning on each other’s face.

The piece of information caused the Princess to pull away altogether from the amorous locking of their arms, with a look of utter shock on her face and ultimately placated the fire they have kindled.

“You WHAT?” Pranpriya was astounded.

Jennie eyed her with curious interest for a moment and let a soft chuckle. “Not the exact reaction I was expecting from you, Lili. But yes, I did before you arrived. I honestly don’t know what got into me. I just...I blurted it out,” she said.

Pranpriya whistled. “Wow!” she mouthed and brought her hands to her mouth. Her eyes widened like it was the most perplexed thing she heard today -- which, if truth be told, it was, indeed. More than coming home and seeing Jennie and her mom in the company of her parents. “Wow!” she said again, louder this time.

“I know. It was stupid,” Jennie said weakly, looking mortified.

“No!” Pranpriya was shaking her head vigorously. “No, that was...that was actually brave of you, Jennie. I mean, the fact that you just met him? Wow!” She was impressed by Jennie’s audacity. She couldn’t hide her disbelief, however, which Jennie had mistaken for disappointment.