Chapter 19

"Are you serious?" Uma snarled at her cousin. "You can't accept anything from them." The two groups were still walking over the long bridge, Auradon was getting closer, but still pretty far away. Mal and Jay were walking up front, Harry and Gil a few feet behind them, messing around as always. Myra and Uma came after them and Evie, Carlos and Celia closed the line. 
     "Why not?" Myra questioned. "We're gonna have to work together, so why not try to act normal." 
     Uma rolled her eyes. "I can't believe you're already sounding like one of them." 
     "One of them?" Myra couldn't believe what she just heard. "Uma, just because I wanne try candy doesn't mean I'm with them. They just... used to be my gang, that's all." 
     "If you like them so much, then go back." Uma snarled.
     Okay. That reaction was uncalled for and didn't make sense to Myra. The blond grabbed Uma's arm and dragged her behind her as she turned and walked passed Evie, Carlos and Celia. Once they were out of hearing distance, Myra started talking. 
     "I know you think I'll just leave you when I get a better opportunity." While Myra breathed in to continue, Uma spoke up. 
     "I don't think it, I know it! I saw you leave with them just minutes ago!" 
     "Yeah, because Mal convinced Hades to let me help. Once all of this shit with that Audrey person is over I'll be back on the Isle." 
     "Please!" Uma exclaimed. "Don't pretend that you'd rather be with us on the Isle than with them in Auradon! If they ever would've given you a choice, you'd left ages ago. We both know it." 
     Myra stared at Uma in disbelieve. Uma acted like she was angry, but Myra knew she was just scared. Scared that her family would leave her. "I already had that chance." Myra spoke calmly. "After they'd snatched Ben back from us. I had followed them, on my own. They asked me to come with them, to give me a place in Auradon. But I refused. And not because of Hades, I wasn't thinking about him in that moment. But I was thinking about you. I couldn't leave you behind. I couldn't betray you. You're the only family I've got." 
     "Really?" Uma questioned after a short silence. The anger in her face replaced by curiosity. 
     "Really." Myra answered. "And sure, when they invited me again for the VK project I might have accepted it." And the anger on Uma's face was back. Seeing the outburst coming, Myra quickly continued. "And I was going to talk with you about it! But you were gone. Harry and Gil told me to go. So I was gonna go, but Hades stopped me." 
     "So you were gonna leave." Uma snapped, her arms folded over her chest and a fire burning in her eyes, ready to destroy her cousin in an argument if she had to. And ow how she wanted to have a good fight. But Myra wasn't planning on having one. 
     "You really do not get it, do you?" The blond asked through a desperate sigh. 
     "No, I get it. I get that I mean nothing to you." 
     "O my God!" Myra exclaimed, slightly irritated now. "You know what, you've done it." 
     "Done what?" Uma didn't understand what she ment.
     "I'm gonna sing now." 
     Now it was time for Uma to roll her eyes. "Noooo!" She whined. "That's not happening." 
     "Yes, it is happening!" 
     "No, Myra. Don't you dare." Uma tried to forbid her with a deadly glare, but Myra did not care.
     "Too late! I'm already doing it!"
     "Let's just talk, about this-" 
     "Tried that, you won't listen. Music time!" And indeed the music started. Feeling the rhythm, Myra took some steps back. 
     "I don'te want to make a scene,
      I don't want to let you down.
      Try to do my own thing,
      And I'm starting to figure it out.
      That it's-" Uma was trying to avoid looking at her cousin, staring at the water through the see-through golden bridge they were walking on. Myra noticed and stopped mid-sentence, bumping into Uma's shoulder.
     "Alright. Keep it together." She told Uma, taking a breath to continue with her song. 
     "Wherever we go.
      And it's-" 
     "Oh well, whatever." Uma interrupted sounding as uninterested as possible, not wanting to hear what Myra was about to say, but she wasn't going to get rid of it that easily. 
     "Uma, you really need to know: 
      You might be crazy."
     This did get Uma to look up at her with an insulted expression. "Hey!" Myra was unfazed and continued. 
     "But have I told you lately,
      That I love you?
      You're the only reason that I'm
      Not afraid to fly." The hurt expression on Uma's face disappeared. No one had ever told her that they loved her. No one. Which wasn't that uncommon on the Isle of the Lost. But Myra was done with pretending that she didn't love her cousin and she felt no shame telling her or anyone else. 
     "And it's crazy,
      That someone could change me.
      Now no matter what it is I have to do,
      I'm not afraid to try.
     And you need to know that you're the reason why." 
     "Okay, that's not true. I didn't change you." Uma stuttered defensively, not knowing how to respond to something like this.
     Myra laughed. "Com'n, Cousin. Last year I barely talked to anyone outside of my gang. But now? I've kidnapped a King, led a pirate crew and almost outsmarted a God! I wouldn't have done any of that without you're example."
     "Okay, fine! But I am not crazy!" 
     Myra laughed again, this time she hooked her arm with Uma's and got her to walk with her. They were way behind on the others who had almost reached Auradon's land already. 
     "I don't even care when they say:
     'You're a little bit off.'" Again, Uma gasped. Pulling her arm away from Myra's hold and shoving her away. Myra smiled, came standing in front of the young woman and grabbed both her shoulder. 
     "Look me in the eye, I say.
      I could never get enough!" This was the first time in the song that Uma smiled. 
     "Cause it's alright,
      Keep it together, wherever we go.
      And it's-" 
     "Alright!" Uma tried to interrupt again, getting the point. But Myra wasn't done. 
     "Ow, well, whatever." The blond girl mimicked Uma's words from before. Letting her arms slide from Uma's shoulders to her hands, squeezing them with a mischievousness smile. 
     "Everybody needs to know.
      You might be crazy,
      But have I told you lately,
      That I love you? 
      You're the only reason that I'm 
      Not afraid to fly." 

      "And it's crazy," Uma took over singing with a smile on her face as she pulled Myra with her to continue walking.
     "That someone could change me."
     "Now no matter what it is,
      I have to do,
      I'm not afraid to try." The two sang together. 
      "And you need to know that you're the reason, why."

     "When it was raining, 
      You would yell at the sun." Myra sang, but before she continued, Uma chimed in. 
     "And you'd pick up the pieces,
      When the damage is done." Myra smiled at her cousin, not expecting a compliment in song form. 
      "You say it's just another day in the shade."

      "But look at what a mess we made..." Myra sang softer, not needing to say what she was revering to. 
      "Yeah," Uma said when a new smile took over her features. "But just to clear some things out."
     "You're the one that's crazy!" Now it was Myra's turn to look insulted and surprised at the same time. 
     "But have I told you lately,
      That I love you?" 
     Myra smiled, taking over the next line again. Looking at Uma while she kept walking backwards.
      "You're the only reason that I'm
      Not afraid to fly."
      "And it's crazy that someone could change me." They continued together. 
      "Now no matter what it is I have to do,
      I'm not afraid to try.
      You might be crazy! 
      Have I told you lately,
      That I love you? 
      You're the only reason that I'm
      Not afraid to fly." They kept singing to each other, half dancing and half walking past the others, not even noticing the weird looks they got. 
      "And it's crazy,
      That someone could change me.
      Now no matter what it is
      I have to do
      I'm not afraid to-"
     Still walking backwards, Myra hadn't noticed they had reached the end of the bridge. The girl yelped as the ground didn't come where she expected it to be, loosing her balance. Uma grasped Myra's arm in an attempt to stop her from falling, but Myra pulled Uma down with her. Uma fell on top of her cousin, knocking the air out of both of them.  
     Uma pushed herself  off Myra, the two made eye contact and busted out laughing uncontrollable. 
     Myra was the first to get a hold on herself and get up from the ground. She pulled Uma up as well, who wiped away a single tear. "Do you get it now, Uma?" Myra started in a more serious voice. "You're family and I love you. But this is my life. Just because I want to explore what life could be like doesn't mean you'll mean anything less to me. Besides, I only have a few days if this Audrey thing is harder than we think." 
     Uma shrugged, she understood, but giving in wasn't something she was very good at. "Okay. I get it. It's fine, really." 
     The smile on Myra's face widened as she pulled her cousin in for a hug. When Uma stepped away she cleared her throat and nodded behind her. "So, does this 'exploring' include a specific boy?" Myra now understood Uma had gestured to Jay. 
     "No!" Myra immediately responded, maybe a little too fast and loud. "No, Jay and I- just no. Not gonna happen."
     "Why not?" Uma questioned. "I know you... liked him at some point." 
     "Yeah, some point." Instantly Myra regretted ever telling Uma what had happened between her and Jay right before the group of four left for Auradon. "But not anymore." Myra caught Uma's 'I know you're lying' look and groaned. "Just leave it alone." At that point the others walked passed them. Uma shrugged, joining Gil who was one of the first to walk by. 
     Harry stopped beside Myra, laying one arm around her shoulder as he did all the time. "You coming, love?" 

🐾●°●🐭●°●🐾