-40-

CHAPTER 40 | FACE TO FACE

Pyro's P.O.V.

After leaving Jesse like a cocoon, I continue to look for Aoki. The weird part is that I wasn't running into any of the howlers that were with Tasha.

"I hope she is okay," I whispered to myself.

Before I could take another step, I saw Tasha running. Though she was a few yards away, I could tell she was enjoying herself a little too much. I couldn't help but feel angry as I watched her.

"Tasha," I screamed as she continued to run past, "get back here!!"

Without thinking, I chase after her.

She was faster than I have ever seen her. I don't know if it was due to her abilities or if it was natural. The whole time that I was chasing her, she never looked back.

I knew I had to do something to stop her.

In a matter of seconds, a surge of power washed over me. I focus this energy into my arms and let it flow into the ground as I touch it. The energy seems to barrow underground in Tasha's direction. I watch for a second before I continue to run after them.

The two streams of energy continue to barrow just beneath the surface of the ground. At the same time, the streams split off into two more before dividing into six.

As I raised my hand, the energy that was tunneling underground burst to the surface in the form of black wolves with red glowing veins, they howled as they chased after Tasha. I quickly jump on the back of the closest one as we continue to pursue Tasha deeper into the forest.

Suddenly, she let out a series of howls before glance back at me for a second. The wind gradually picks up speed, turning from a gentle breeze to forceful gust. The strength behind each gust of wind became stronger, knocking down small trees and lifting forest debris. The sky darkens as if it was about to rain.

'She is about to do something.'

With a sample thought, two of my protectors picked up speed before jumping into the air, diving into the ground. A puff of black smoke was left from where they landed as they turned into shadows, moving quickly across the ground. I knew I was pushing my limits with my abilities, but I had to get her.

"Hold her," I commanded at the top of my lungs.

As the command blended into the air, I could feel the power behind it. The trees in front of Tasha, moved to block her path, as vines and roots slither towards her. She easily avoids them as she searches for a way out.

This was enough time for my protectors to blind her shadow, bringing her to her knees. The vines and roots twist around her while my shadow protectors return to their wolf form.

"What you are going to kill me," she laughed out loud.

"No."

I hopped off my protector and made my way over to her.

"You don't think I can kill you," She growled through clenched teeth.

"That's why those vines are around your throat," I explained to her, "you can't cast a spell without a throat."

I knelt in front of her, looking into her eyes. There was something I wanted to see before I made my next move. The eyes that stared back at me wasn't the Tasha I knew. These eyes were full of jealousy and rage. Aoki was right about Tasha, her emotions had consumed her.

"You don't have the guts to hurt your cousin," she said with a smirk.

She is right. I don't have the guts to hurt my family.

"But, you are not my cousin," I whispered as I stood up, not taking my eyes off her, "not anymore."

"Then what?" her lips formed a devilish smile as she glares at me, "What can you do to me that could hurt me more than you being born a white wolf."

"I hope you find peace before you end up getting yourself killed," I told her as I slowly raised my hands.

The vines that contain her lifted her off the ground as the ground opened beneath her.

"I know you will kill me if you get the chance," I watch as the vines continue to wrap around her as she is lower into the ground, "I won't allow you to take my life without a fight."

"YOU BASTARD," she screams out as vines cover her mouth. Roots moved over the hole. Wind blows loose dirt and leaves over the roots. "You're going to regret the day you see me again."

"Me too," I whispered out loud as I hopped onto my protector, I know she could still hear me.

I stared at the spot Tasha was buried, knowing it won't hold her for long. She wasn't my family anymore, but an enemy that wants me died and will do anything to make it happen. I know the next time we meet, I will probably have to kill her.

"Take me home," I told my protector as I look at the others, "I trust you all to protect me."

I laid on the back of my protector as my body began to feel like lead. My eyelids were getting heavier with each second that passed. I knew I had overused my abilities chasing after Tasha, and my body was starting to feel it.

My vision of the forest became a blur as my protectors continued to run before  everything went black.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter.

Don't forget to vote, comment and follow.

And like always...

Thank you for reading!

-AJ Pharaoh