Chapter 5: A new friend

English period went quite smoothly although my mood was ruined and I kinda got distracted by "winter jerk" over there because apparently we were in the same English class.                                               

On my way to History class I clash into someone causing the persons books to fall onto the floor. "What is it with you and bumping into people today?" my subconscious muses.

"Oh I'm sorry, let me help you." I say immediately getting onto my knee to help.

I look up and saw a girl my age wearing a red hijab.

"Asalamu Alaykum ." I say to her.                                                                                    Her head immediately shoots up and I can't miss seeing the look of surprise on her face as she answers me in a somewhat shaky voice and I see that her eyes are somehow red.

"Are you okay? did I somehow hurt you?!"

" No don't worry its fine."

"Then why were you crying ?!"

 "I can't believe I'm telling you this because it will show how pathetic and weak I am but since I started this school I've been bullied because I'm a Muslim." she says starting to cry again .

"I don't know what I ever did to them but they are so mean to me and I don't think I can take it anymore."

"Really? they actually bully here? and there I was thinking...never mind what I was thinking but the fact is you can't let them do this to you again. You are a Muslim and you should be proud about that and stand up to whoever tries to defame you and your religion.
I don't mean to sound harsh but it will be better if you prove to them that you are someone who is to be respected .
You have to prove to them that you are special and worth respect." I say to her in a gentle tone.

 "Okay I'll try."she says giving me a slight smile.

 "Masha Allah,now that's the spirit!."I say to her.
"Now let's get to class."  

"Did you introduce yourself ??what kind of manners do you have?!!" my subconscious attacked me for the second time today.

"Oh, I'm sorry for not introducing myself earlier. I'm Ruwaydah Sanni and I'm new around here.   Don't worry about your books because I'll escort you to your next class and also I'm really sorry for what happened earlier. What class are you headed to?." I ask her then shut my mouth immediately as I realized I was just blabbering nonsense and I that I sounded stupid.

  She just smiled at me and my clumsiness and honestly I was awestruck because what was once a puffy face was immediately transformed into a very beautiful face. Masha Allah.

"Wow! you should smile often." I say to her ."Your smile is very pretty ."

 "Thank you. And it's also nice to meet you too Ruwaydah." she said pronouncing my name with a very delicate accent.
"My name is Najla Ahmad and I moved to London a year ago and I've been at this school for a year also. wow I'm sorry, you obviously didn't need to know that.

 "Its okay." I tell her laughing lightly. "so what class are you having?"

  "I'm having history."

"Masha Allah! I'm also having history! why don't we head on to class."

"Good idea! Anyways,thanks for helping me out back there." she tells me on our way to class."

"No problem. You're welcome by the way."

At lunch time I invite Najla to sit with me and can't miss the look of happiness that crosses her face as she accepts the invitation shyly.