[19] Deny. Deny. Deny. | Spy Games III | Tease

The next morning was painful to say the least. JJ refused to acknowledge me. He was tight lipped when it came to anything involving me and didn't dare to meet my eyes. Kiara and Pope tried to involve us both in conversation, but it was futile. The tension between the blonde boy and I was far too thick.

I was confused, more so than I was before. Did that kiss mean he liked me? Or was it a spur of the moment thing? I wanted to get answers, but when someone chooses to deny your existence entirely, it's hard to find the courage to ask.

I called Mrs. Quinlan early this morning, asking her to come in and clean up the mess I made. She was a very kind older woman in the Cut who didn't ask questions, and I think that's what I loved the most about her. Hopefully she'd be in by the end of the day.

I couldn't care less about the meaningless art that I had destroyed. Truthfully, now that it was over, I felt relieved, like when someone comes up from holding their breath underwater. It's all the shattered pictures that hurt. I cared about the memories I can't replace. The pictures reminded me what my parents looked like when their faces become fuzzy, distant memories. I needed those. So, I spent a half hour picking through glass and pottery, being sure to collect everything I held dear.

This morning was quiet at Heyward's, or at least it was for me. I only had one conversation with Kiara about Midsummers tonight. With everything going on lately, I forgot. I knew my aunt would want me to go to show my face to her rich friends, so I asked Kie to meet up later on to get ready. Of course, she agreed, saying, "I won't enjoy it one bit, at least I'll have a friend with me."

As I restocked shelves in the back, I heard Pope, Kiara, and JJ giggle about the brawl the night before. God, I didn't even want to think about that. When I looked in the mirror this morning, I was glad to see I didn't need to cover bruises on my neck. The only damage control was washing Kelce's blood off my knuckles and touching up the bruise on my cheek, which was starting to fade anyway.

"Don't let it get in your head. We didn't lose that fight. Them jumping us was some typical Kook shit right there," JJ talked loudly.

I continued to place stickers on products, then placing them on the shelf. "Yeah," Kie nodded along.

"What was your thought process, using your head?" JJ asked Pope, who shrugged.

"I don't know, man. I just acted off instinct. I was a cornered animal. But, what I wanna know is what went through Bee's mind. I swear I've never seen that girl throw a punch, and then suddenly she comes out swingin' like Muhammad Ali."

I turned to see Pope and Kie looking at me, waiting for my explanation. JJ still had his back turned to me. "I don't know. A protective instinct I didn't know I had, maybe?" I mumbled, going back to busying my hands.

Kie opened her mouth to comment on my answer, but was cut off by Heyward walking into the shop, a nervous look on his face as Deputy Shoupe trailed behind him. "Hey, Pope, someone's here to see you."

Pope, JJ and I stiffened as Shoupe approached. For the first time today JJ caught my stare, his uneasy eyes matching my own.

"Evening, Officer," Pope stuttered. He looked like a deer caught in headlights, guilty written all over his face.

"I have an arrest warrant for felony destruction of property. Hands where I can see 'em– young lady, stay out of my way."

I sprang up from my lowered position, walking to where the Deputy was arresting Pope. I caught the glance between Pope and JJ as Shoupe shackled Pope. As clear as day I could see JJ mouth, 'Deny. Deny. Deny.'