i'm only sleeping-harrison

george's p.o.v

I'd gotten home late from the studio again, and just as I expected, the house was dead silent. She'd stopped waiting up for me a while ago. She said she didn't see a point, and to be completely honest neither did I. I wanted to be home early, but I couldn't. I still can't, no matter how hard I try.

Paul'd always try to lighten the mood with something like "come on, let's just finish this bleeding record," which always seems to make one of us laugh. We don't seem to get along much anymore, even since John met Yoko and Paul met Linda. It seemed everything went downhill when they met their wives-not because of them, no, never! But John and Paul's attitudes took a turn for the worse, and nobody seemed to care.

There was tea on the stove that had already been made, my guess for someone being over while I was away. She'd started inviting more people over to keep herself company. The clothing store she worked at had closed a month prior because the boss was caught doing some drug which was only legal in Mexico, and 'making the employees uncomfortable,' which was believable. The guy was a creep. She's been without a job ever since, searching the paper's and looking for ads over town every single day to see if there was something that involved designing clothes.

I heated the tea, careful not to be too loud in case she was asleep, but when I heard shuffling from the bedroom, I eased up a bit. I didn't figure she'd be up this late. I looked at the clock; 2:30. It's been a crazy night.

I poured the tea into two cups and carried them up to the bedroom after adding what we both liked to either one. The teacup rattled on the saucer as I struggled to balance the two plates between my fingers, and make my way up the stairs.

Pushing the door open with my back, I turned to see her fast asleep, body propped against the wall that the bed was pushed up against, her head leaning onto her shoulder. She had a magazine in her lap, her finger positioned between the pages as if she were to flip it. Her mouth was slightly opened as she snored softly, her eyelashes resting against her cheeks and I found it hard not to stare at her. I thanked everything that the nightstand light was shining dimly throughout the room, or I'd trip on something and everything would go everywhere.

I set the tea down on the table, looking back at her sleeping. The blanket was scrunched down at her feet while her legs stuck straight out on the mattress. It looked unbelievably uncomfortable to be in to sleep.

I reached over and grabbed the magazine from her hands, careful not to make her stir. That's the last thing I wanted, was to wake her up at 2:30 in the morning. I slowly directed her body over onto the pillow, and when she was down she shifted into a more comfortable-looking position. I pulled the blankets over her, watching as she snuggled up into it, face almost pressed against the wall.

"Thank you," she whispered so softly I almost didn't hear her.

"Of course," I whispered back. I changed and hopped into bed right next to her, wrapping my arms around her torso and I placed my lips on the back of her neck. I heard her sigh, her body letting go of an enclosed breath. I felt her heartbeat in her stomach, which made me wonder if she was having a panic attack. It was going very fast, her heartbeat, and it was scaring me.

"Dear, are you alright?"

She sniffled, and that's when I noticed. She'd been crying. She cried herself to sleep and the tears dawned when I'd gotten upstairs.

"Yes," she said, not raising her voice above a whisper. "I'm okay."

"No you aren't," I answered, rubbing her shoulder. "Is it about the magazine?"

Every tabloid had been spreading rumors about us having kids, us splitting up, me sleeping with other women, and it gave her a really hard time. She'd always be reading a magazine when I got home, to catch up on today's false rumor. It had taken a load of persuasion just to assure her that none of it was real, that it was the media being, well, the media.

"I love you. So, so, so much, and I want you to remember that forever." I spoke against her shoulder, planting a kiss on her freckled skin.

She took another deep breath and nodded. "Okay."