34 In Truth As Well As Name 3/4

名副其實
Míng fù qí shí
The name matches the reality.
Be something in truth as well as in name; be worthy of the name.

*~*~*~*~*~*

A few days later, I woke in the men's tent.

I found myself pressed to Sanli's chest, as usual. It was warm in the tent, not just beneath the furs and blankets, but the air as well. The tent was small, and low. I had only to reach my hand up to touch the tarp ceiling, so there was not much air to heat. Our four bodies were more than enough to keep it warm.

It was still dark outside, but I could tell from the stillness that it was that hour just before dawn, when the world holds its breath. Soon Kageyama would rise, and check on the horses, and then Zakhar would follow to prepare our morning meal, usually tea and whatever gruel he could make up. Last the Little Prince beside me would rise, and I, not wanting to get cold left on my own, would follow.

I snuggled closer against Sanli's chest, determined to fall back asleep in the remaining time left to me before day broke.

Suddenly, behind me, where Zakhar lay, I heard a rustle, and the sound of Zakhar stirring in his sleep, and turning. I thought nothing of it, until something hard was pressed against my lower back.

Millennia of experience froze me, instinct tensed my muscles, and my mind rapidly sifted through my complex knowledge to try and identify what kind of weapon it was. It felt long, and hard, but not sharp. A club? Or a blunt short sword? And wait, that did not make sense, Zakhar lay behind me. I could hear his breathing close, felt his beard tickling my neck. There was no room for someone else to sneak in and hold a—

Suddenly I realized what was pressed to my back. I laughed in surprise, my laughter breaking from me in a guttural shout.

Immediately Kageyama woke, and sat bolt upright, a knife appearing in his hand.

"What? What is it?" he asked, voice urgent.

Zakhar sat up as well followed by a bleary eyed Sanli. "What's wrong Ao...?"

I remained where I was. "Nothing. Everything is fine. I just understand now why Liang'yi calls Zakhar 'Big Boy'...." I gestured in the dim light of the tent towards Zakhar's lower parts.

In horror, Zakhar looked down. With animal like reflexes he snatched his blanket up and draped it over the bulge in his pants, trying to conceal it.

"So this is why all the flowers are always so happy to see you! Well, a part of you, at least. But my, you must make them work hard for their money," I laughed.

Even in the dark of the tent, I could see Zakhar's face flush crimson, like a red lantern on a celebratory day.

He buried his face in his hands to hide his embarrassment.

"That's it, I want her out of here now. Her sinful flaunting has gone on long enough," said Kageyama, trying to reach over Sanli to grab at me.

"It's alright, I'll go," said Zakhar, hurriedly rising and crawling sideways from the tent, his back to us to hide his front. He tugged the tent ties loose, and then slipped out into the pre-dawn night, a slap of cold air entering the tent as he raised the flap.