Chapter 25: Moon Song

Destiny doesn't hesitate to sneak out of her room that night. The turtles remain asleep, although she has no doubt that Leonardo will be up soon enough. It's like he has a sixth sense that tells him when she's leaving the lair.

She keeps going, pushing past the turnstiles and stealing away down the subway rails. She's not running away or anything of that sort, she just wants to go back outside, breathe in some fresh air, and sing to the moon again. After all, she doesn't know when the next time will be, and now she has a new song in mind that she learned thanks to the music library on her t-phone.

She reaches the familiar upwards tunnel that leads to her freedom and climbs up, shoving open the heavy manhole cover with everything in her, and shimmying out onto the road. She stands and does a quick scent scan before moving to the wall of nearest building and hurrying up the fire escape.

When she reaches the roof, she inhales deeply and stares up at the sky, where moon is shining brightly above her. She closes her eyes as the cool night wind rustles her hair, sending goosebumps up her arms.

She breathes, the lyrics of a moonlit lullaby rolling through her head as she starts to sing.

"And don't go to bed yet love, I think it's too early,
And we just need a little time to ourselves.
If my wall clock tells me that it's four in the morning, I'll give it hell."

Her voice is soft and lacks fullness, the words wobbling every now and then, but she doesn't care because she doesn't have an audience. It's only for her, a song for her soul.

"Cause I've been trying way too long
To try and be the perfect song.
When our hearts are heavy burdens
We shouldn't have to bear alone.

"So goodnight moon and goodnight you.
When you're all that I think about.
All that I dream about.
How'd I ever breathe without,
A goodnight kiss from goodnight you?

"The kind of hope they all talk about.
The kind of feeling we sing about.
Sit in our bedroom and read aloud.
Like a passage from goodnight moon."

She closes her eyes and howls, sending the haunting tune floating over the sleepy city and curling into the cool night air. She trails off with a soft sigh, lifting a hand to her throat and coughing once. She stays for a moment, gazing up at the brilliant orb in the sky as she imagines sprouting pure white wings and taking off into the sky with no more strings tying her down.

She feels a soft tug at the back of her brain, and for a split second she doesn't just imagine the wings as her vision goes slightly hazy. She can feel them, like if she took a few steps off the edge of this building, she could take flight.

She shakes her head and presses a hand to the nape of her neck as the tugging disappears and her sight clears. Destiny frowns and turns in place, sniffing the air as her intense eyes examine every hiding spot in direct sight, but nothing comes to her and nothing appears.

Unnerved, she heads for the fire escape and climbs down the building side. Reaching the sewer entrance, she slips inside and jerks the heavy lid back overtop with the grating sound of concrete and metal clashing.

Above her, a figure appears at the edge of the same building. He tilts his head and leans forwards slightly, adjusting his footing against the thin slab of brick keeping him from the ground below. It does little to help him, seeing as his boot slips on some loose pebbles and that sends him tipping off the ledge. He gasps and latches his hand onto the fire escape railing, his feet clanging against the metal and making a ringing noise emanate through the quiet night.