Chapter 32: Reason

After you had spent the recess with Markus, you made your way to your science class, rushing past the groups of students now crowding the hallway. The door was still open, to your relief, and you darted inside, moving to stand beside your shared desk with Connor. You sat down, carefully putting your science books on the table. You turned to speak to Connor, but he was looking away.

"Connor, what's wrong?"

"I'm just thinking about my football practice..." He said quietly, seemingly lost in his own world.

"I saw you practicing earlier! How did it go?"

"It was just like usual..." He replied, before falling silent. You wanted to ask more, when Mr Andronikov walked into the room, indicating the start of class. You would have to ask Connor more about his practice later.

As class resumed, you continued to try and involve Connor in your science work, but to no avail. You didn't understand why everyone was acting so strange today. First was Chloe, and now Connor?

You kept trying to figure out what it was, but Connor simply dodged your questions. The boy that was usually so friendly and charming, now seemed cold and distant. Needless to say, you were worried about him, and wondered what you could possibly do to help bring the Connor you knew back.

You did not have time to think of it though. The moment class ended, Connor left ahead of you, walking up the hallway and into the crowds of students. You tried to follow after him, but more students entered the corridor, until Connor was completely out of sight. Giving up, you stilled in the hallway, letting the other students jostle you around.

You didn't know where Kara was, or where Markus was. Now Connor was gone too.

Even in this corridor, filled with hundreds of students, you were alone.

Feeling disheartened, you slowly passed room after room. You felt like you were a ghost wandering the hallways. No one paid you any mind, and you ignored them also.

Eventually, your feet seemed to lead you towards the Principal's office. You stood outside the door, unsure of how you got there. Before you could move away, the door opened, and Principal Fowler stepped out. He seemed just as surprised to see you as you were to see him.

He ended the phone call he had just been making, and invited you inside.

"What seems to be the problem Miss [L/N]?"

"I..." You started to say, but felt unsure. It seemed like nothing was going right lately, but you didn't know how to solve it.

"Is this about your friend Kara Williams again?" He interrupted.

With a jolt, you remembered the recording you had on your phone. You had showed the police, and they had dismissed you... but you hadn't yet shown Principal Fowler! Surely this time, you could work something out.

You reached into your bag, pulling out your phone. You began to search through your files, looking for the proof you needed.

"There's something I need to show you..." You said, while still flicking through the phone.

"Well, I hope it is important..." Principal Fowler replied, leaning back on his plush office chair, "It's getting late. You should be heading home."

"This won't take long, I promise!" You insisted, searching through the phone. Where was the video? You knew you had recorded it... so why wasn't it listed in your files?

You continued to flick through the gallery, then the storage, and even the main screen of the phone.

The video was no where to be found. It was as if it had never been there in the first place.