Chapter 19: Revelation

"Wait," I backtracked after remembering that this was Angelo's place and not mine. "What are you doing here?"

Genie gave me a sheepish smile.

Then my eyes landed on the man before me who adjusted himself uncomfortably. "Do you know her? How do you know my best friend?"

"She was my servant before she was your best friend."

"Excuse me?"

My eyes turned to Genie urgently. Surely he was pulling my leg.

How could a girl I've known all my life, all twenty-four years, since we've been diaper buddies, be his servant?

"Are you on something?" I asked him, reverting back to my old habit of thinking he was insane. "How could Genie be related to you in any way? She doesn't even know the first five books of the Bible."

"The reality of it is much deeper than that."

"So does everything seem to be when it comes to you."

I internally cringed at how wrong that could have been taken.

If Angelo took notice of it he was exceptional at not letting it show.

He sighed. "Genie is-"

"Pardon me, but could you give me the liberty of breaking such news to her myself? I am the one who deceived her all these years, even if it was your order. I don't want you to take this opportunity from me to come clean."

My nose turned upwards in disgust at how polite she was being, especially towards Angelo.

"Genie, what are you doing? Why are you talking to him like that?" My eyes zoomed in on her guilty face and that was when it occurred to me.

"Did you borrow money from him?" I accused, my voice nearly reaching the roof.

She shook her head, a tired smile coming onto her face. "No, I didn't borrow money from him. I stopped doing that years ago. You know that."

I held my chest and nodded in relief. "That's good. We don't want you walking down that path of gambling and drugs again."

"I actually never did any of those," she revealed with a tiny voice. My face was a canvas for the shock that splashed across it at her confession. "B, I don't want you to take this wrong way. No matter what, just remember that I've been sincere to you all this time, okay? Promise not to hate me too much for what I'm about to tell you."

Her panic shifted something inside of me and a bad feeling settled itself in the pit of my stomach.

I never saw this desperate side to her before and it scared the heck out of me.

"Hey, calm down." I said, getting off the bed and towards her. I brushed her natural hair softly, taken aback when I saw a tear roll down her cheek. "Genie..." My eyes snapped back up to look into her brown orbs as the anxiety rolling off her in waves began to affect me.

"I sinned," she started between heavy breaths. "While I was in heaven, I committed one of the worst acts any being could have. I fell in love with a demon. I knew I wasn't supposed to but I couldn't help it. It was temptation at its finest."

I shook my head, hands slowly removing themselves from her.

Her brown eyes followed the act with a broken look, but she didn't stop relaying her truth.

"Because of what I did I was punished. I didn't mind it at the time because I had already found out I was only being used by that creature. I was just an experiment for him to see if us from heaven were really as pure as the rumors said. I guess I disproved them way too quickly because he abandoned me as soon as he got me into his bed." She chuckled harshly. I sucked in a deep breath at the sound of it. It was unlike anything I've ever heard from her.