Chapter Five.(we could pretend...I guess?) part 1

Rainbow's POV.

(Recap)

Knowing i couldn't continue this conversation with mama anymore, i said a quick goodbye to her and switched off the device in my hands...finally i can let go of breath i didn't even know i was holding in as i let the tears flow out freely, i broke down and cried to my heart content only to raise my head and came face to face with...

Ben!!!

He blinked once, then twice and i sniffed; then we stared at each other for what seemed like eternity then he just walked away. I can't believe he just walked away... so i broke down again and cried myself to sleep like always.

(Present)

He just...walked away, i don't know what hurts the most. Him walking away or me not me knowing how much of what mama said he'd heard.

I don't even know what I'm feeling right now.(sniffs) My emotions are all just jumbled up in my crying and i can't really think straight.

Its been almost a whole day, he's been inside his home office.

Since today is Saturday he works from home most weekends. Which i wouldn't mind him being in there all day on normal circumstances of course, but I'm practically sitting ducks right now.

Is he going to pretend he didn't hear what was said?

Maybe he didn't actually hear anything, should i go and ask him?

No!

I can't risk that.

Don't get me wrong, he hasn't been physical with me in a while. Its more like, he's been ignoring my existence altogether which I'm grateful for really...but i need to know what answers to give mama next time we discuss this topic.

Heaven knows i wouldn't want my answers to contradict his.

Though I'm curious about his thoughts on kids, i don't think I'm ready to know his thoughts on kids.

For as long as i can remember, all i ever wanted was a family of my own because growing up in the system meant all of us were the same; brought together by happenstance and looking for somewhere to belong, a family to call our own but reality hits harder than you think.

My case though was a bit umm... different amongst other kids you see, nobody wanted me.

Something was always the reason i couldn't be adopted.

First; it was my age, then my sex to my skin color.

My complexion was always something to debate amongst potential parents, they always said it won't be fair for me to be the only different one amongst other other kids; but i knew better.

DNA test showed that I'm at least 50% African which i have no doubts of, considering the chocolate like tone of my skin and my Afro like hair that takes incredible amount of styling gel to fix...its no wonder Ben hates it.

The other 50% of my heritage though is a mystery, we're not sure what I'm mixed with.

I was told repeatedly on different occasions that i wasn't what they were looking for and that kinda did a number on me so much that i became very sarcastic and sassy.

I started telling people off before they could have the chance to do it to me.

Even though mama Evelyn took it upon herself and did everything within her powers to give me a normal childhood, but nothing was ever normal about me.

From preschool to high school; all the way to college i stuck out like a sore thumb. If it wasn't my hair that kids were whispering about, it was my skin color.

Let's not forget my electric blue eyes which always manage to make me every kid's topic of discussion.

For a very long time, all i did was searched for somewhere i belonged but nothing ever felt right.

When i met Benjamin every thing felt right, it was perfect! I guess you could see why i built my whole world around him.

I'd just graduated college when we met, just imagine my shock when i found out the place I'd called home for twenty years was about to be demolished and made a shopping mall...a freaking shopping mall!

It was an absolute nightmare! I had no stable paying job at the time, i was only working downtown in an antique shop for old Mrs Witkins

Bless her soul.

The orphanage was not in good shape. Government was on some sort of economic recession and funds were not coming through, my world was in pieces.

We had just been told to evacuate the property the night before but mama won't budge.

I remember waking up to her chained to the swing in front of our home, she said if they were going to bring down our home she was going down with it...i was so terrified!

I remember just screaming and screaming for mama to unchain herself, screaming for the demolition crew to stop moving towards her.

I remember my other mamas screaming and holding the kids back, i remember the scared looks on their faces.

Our screams had caught the attention of many people that day including news reporters who were now in the scene. I remember being dragged away from the chaos by a man who's name i found out later was Benjamin.

"Hey!

"Hey...be calm"  He'd said.

''I'm a friend and I'm here to help.''

A friend indeed he was.

Whatever he did after that got us back our home in three days and Williams&Smiths which i later found out he did not only represent but co-owned with his best friend, was the sole sponsor of our orphanage for a very long time.

He became my first real friend, he'd spend every little free time he had from work with me. From surprise lunches at my work place to unnecessary long drive back to my home even though there's a shorter route because ten minutes was too short for a car drive with me.

His words not mine.

Mama was wary of our friendship but was happy because I'd started opening up to other people, and i couldn't be happier.

Fast forward to a year later mama was still skeptical about our friendship which was stronger than ever.

There was no doubts we were more than friends by now. From first dates to first kiss to first everything really!

And my first and last love it seemed at the time. I was the happiest person on earth but not as happy as when he proposed a year later and our wedding which happened that following winter.

I was so overwhelmed...i couldn't believe he was mine finally.

------------------
Author's Note
A new chapter as promised. Wasn't Ben the best in the past? What do you think changed him? Find out in the next chapter. Don't forget to vote, comment and follow 🙏😘