first day

Shortly after Harry and Rose made the bet, Professor Dumbledore stood up, ending any chattering among the students.

"So, now that we are all fed and watered," Dumbledore started, and Hermione let out a small humph at his words.

"I must ask for your attention for some notices. Mr. Filch has asked me to remind you that there is a list of banned items on his door and he asks that you read them and dispose of any items properly," Dumbledore began. Fred and George snickered at Mr. Filch and Rose knew that their trunks were probably full of banned items.  "Another reminder that the Forbidden Forest is... well, forbidden."

"Also, it is my painful duty to tell you that the inter house quidditch competition will not happen this year," Dumbledore said, growing serious. Shouts quickly erupted around the hall and Harry muttered a small 'what'. Rose wasn't too upset at the proclamation.

"This is due to an event that will be starting in October of this year and continue until the end of the year, taking up a lot of time and energy for the students and teachers. I am pleased to announce that the-"

Dumbledore was interrupted by the doors of the great hall banging open. The hall was quieter than it ever had been as they watched a man enter the room. The man walked across the room to the professors table, a dull clank echoing across the room, signaling that the man had a wooden leg. A flash of lighting illuminated the man's face and gasps were heard across the room. He had multiple scars, a chunk missing from his nose and one of his eyes was obviously fake as it was rolling around wildly in his head. The stranger and Dumbledore shook hands before the man sat down and started eating food, using his own knife instead of a fork.

"Students, this is the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Alastor Moody," Dumbledore announced. Not a single student clapped, but Moody didn't seem to care. He just took a sip from his flask and looked around the room. His eyes landed on Rose and Harry and he smirked a little. Harry didn't seem to notice as he was talking to Ron but Rose did. She went to talk to Harry when Dumbledore started to talk again.

"As I was saying, we have the honor of hosting a very special event that hasn't been held in over a century. Hogwarts has the honor of hosting the Triwizard Tournament."

"You're JOKING!" Fred yelled. Nearly everyone laughed and Dumbledore smiled.

"No, I am not joking Mr. Weasley, although I did hear an excellent joke about a troll, a hag and a leprechaun in a bar-" Dumbledore responded. Mcgonagall cleared her throat behind him.

"Maybe not the time...where was I? Oh, right! The Triwizars Tournament was established around 700 years ago to encourage friendship between the three largest wizarding schools in Europe: Hogwarts, Beauxbatons, and Durmstrang. A champion was chosen from each of the schools and they were given magical tasks to complete. Each school hosted the competition until the death toll became too high and it was discontinued."

"Death toll?" Hermione whispered, looking alarmed. Most students in the hall were excitedly whispering, seemingly not having heard the last part of what Dumbledore had said.

"There have been several attempts to reinstate the tournament but none of them were successful. We have worked very hard to ensure that no harm will come to any competitors this time. The representatives from the other two schools will be arriving in October and the selection will take place on Halloween. An impartial judge will choose the competitors. They will be the most worthy to represent their school, earn honor, and win 1000 galleons."

"I'm going for it!" Fred hissed. Rose saw multiple other people nodding at him.

"I know that some of you will want to bring the honor of the tournament, but we have all agreed to impose an age limit. Only those who are 17 by Halloween will be able to enter their names. This is a necessary edition to the tournament. So please do not enter yourself unless you are 17," Dumbledore said. Fred and George were huffing and seemed to he already whispering about how they could get in anyways.