Chapter 4 - There are rules my sweet, Evie

The morning's harsh rays of sunlight streamed in through the curtains and bathed the room in light. Branton stirred in his chair and raised his face off the table he had fallen asleep on.

He groaned as he squeezed his eyes shut against the sudden brightness. He gingerly opened them to see two empty bourbon bottles on the table, mocking him.

He clenched his jaw in anger as laughter echoed in his head.

Branton bolted to the spare room, which was set up with half a dozen security monitors and started to rewind last night's recordings, praying that he would find some kind of clue as to what happened to Evie. He slowed the footage when he saw Evie being dragged through the house. He watched as she was forced up the stairs and thrown into a room.

The room he had set up just for her.

He turned his attention to the bottom right monitor and zoomed in. A genuine smile spread across his face at the sight of his girl. She was in the middle of the room, curled up into a fragile ball. Her eyes were closed and her breathing was slow and even as she slept.

The smile was wiped from his face as he noticed her injuries. Dark bruises formed around her delicate throat and her ankle was severely swollen.

Spreading his palms on the table, he bowed his head and focused on his breathing.

Straightening his back, he stared at the monitor. After a few minutes, her eyes slowly opened and she glanced around sleepily. Within a few seconds, she scooted across the carpet to press her back firmly against the wall.

He felt his heart ache as her body started to shake and her wide eyes remained glued to the door.

...

Evie pressed her back against the wall and stared wide-eyed at the door.

Terrifying scenarios played out in her mind. She couldn't shake the images of Branton bursting through the door, torturing and raping her, before murdering her in a gruesome and horrific way.

Her body broke out in a cold sweat and seemed to react on its own. She sprung up off of the floor and limped to the locked door, she twisted the door knob vigorously but it wouldn't budge. She started yanking at the bars on the window with shaking hands but the bars wouldn't move an inch.

She dropped to the floor and peered under the bed. Seeing nothing, she ran into the walk-in wardrobe and carelessly moved around clothes and shoes.

Tightly gripping a stiletto heel, the only thing she could find that was even remotely sharp, she limped back to her spot on the floor.

A soft knock caused her to flinch and shuffle behind the bed.

"Evie?" came a muffled voice from behind the door. "I'm coming in."

She held her breath as the lock clicked open and someone strolled into the room. She watched from under the bed as shoes came into view.  Evie jumped up and blindly swung the stiletto.

Branton snapped his hand up and grabbed onto her arm, stopping the heel from coming into contact with his chest.

"Drop it," he demanded.

Terrified, she dropped the shoe to the ground with a thud.

Her captor's eyes softened. "You have no reason to fear me," he reassured while gesturing for her to sit on the bed.

She cautiously moved towards the bed and sat near the headboard, putting as much distance between them as possible.

"I want to apologise for last night. Based on your injuries I imagine whatever happened was quite traumatic." He shot her a sympathetic look.

Scrunching her face in confusion, she recoiled as his hand inched towards her. 

"I need to examine it," he explained, gesturing to her ankle.

She briefly considered telling him to stay away from her, but she was too scared to resist.

He reached towards her again and gently prodded the sensitive skin. She bit her lip to stop herself from crying out.

"No broken bones. Probably just a sprain," he declared while grabbing a couple of pillows and placing them under her leg.

"Keep it elevated, it will help reduce the swelling."

She flinched when he stood up to retrieve an ice pack he had brought in.

He gently placed the ice pack on her ankle. "The ice will help numb the pain. I also have painkillers."

"Mr Mitchels," her voice cracked with emotion, "Why are you doing this?"

He sighed and shook his head. "Evie, I've already explained this to you."

She was quiet for a few moments. "Earlier you said that I have no reason to fear you?" She raised a shaking hand to her bruised throat.

His eyes narrowed. "I am not responsible for that. I would never hurt you."

Resting her head against the headboard, she closed her eyes. "I don't understand."

She took a deep breath as the room became heavy with an uncomfortable silence. Opening her eyes, she was surprised to see that Branton had a look of deep concern on his face.

"I'm afraid that I'm not alone in this body."

"What do you mean? Like.. a split personality?" She asked, nervously.

He turned away from her and gazed out the window. "I suppose you could call it that. Although I have never been officially diagnosed."

"Then.. who brought me here?"

When he looked at her, his face was blank of emotion. "He doesn't have a name. And I don't want you to ever speak of him, do you understand?"

She fearfully nodded in response.

"There are rules my sweet, Evie," Branton started, as he rose to his feet, "Firstly, You must be quiet. I will not tolerate yelling, crying or screaming."

She whimpered as he leaned over and gently ran his thumb over her bottom lip. "Secondly, You will obey me. That is unless you want a repeat of last night."

Without waiting for a response he pulled away and retrieved a tray he had placed on the vanity table, it was full of fresh fruits and orange juice.

"You need to eat."

She glanced at the food he had placed on the bed and her stomach coiled. Placing a hand over her mouth she resisted the urge to gag. He watched her reaction and did not look impressed.

She reluctantly placed a grape in her mouth and chewed slowly. When she swallowed her stomach protested painfully, but she managed to keep it down.

"I want you to eat everything on that tray before I return from work," he demanded, as he headed for the door. "I also want you to remove your glasses. You will wear contact lenses from now on."

She opened her mouth to speak but snapped it closed when he sent her a warning glare.

"Be a good girl, Evie," he warned, before shutting the door.