36 :: happy thoughts & painful conversations

one more chapter until the epilogue (:
( i made it shorter bc i couldn't drag
htt taekook's story any longer! )

♡♡♡

Taehyung never once left his side.

It had been a thing for the two of them, visiting Jeongguk right after school. After the younger asked him to never leave his side that day, he possibly couldn't. There was no way he was going to lose him.

So, they spent every chance they could.

While he was at school, Jeongguk's family visited in the mornings. From what he heard, he met up with his aunt already, and after some crying on both of their ends and a long conversation, Jeongguk assured him things were going to be okay for him.

He hadn't seen his mom or his sisters— he wanted to when he wasn't in the psych ward, and his mother simply wasn't in the condition yet to travel so far.

His father dropped by, but Jeongguk didn't mention much about what they discussed, or rather, he didn't tell Taehyung anything except they talked.

He wasn't going to push him though: he would tell him when he was ready for it.

However, he seemed to look a bit at ease, like some burden was lifted from his shoulders. He wasn't back to smiling and laughing yet, but his doctor explained he was most likely drained, so Taehyung would have to be careful to not push him to his limit.

He didn't mind it though. Some days, Jeongguk would have the energy to be pushed on a wheelchair around the floor for an afternoon walk. Others, he was content with reading books, doing puzzles, and watching animes.

But of course, there were bad days along with the good.

Sometimes he refused to talk to Taehyung after a physical therapy session, too consumed by pain to even talk, and all Taehyung would do was lie on his bed and cuddle him close as he cried himself to sleep on his shoulder, rubbing his hand up and down his back and reminding him how strong he was.

On the worst of days, Jeongguk simply wasn't in the mood for visitors. Taehyung didn't leave, though. He sat outside his room, doing his homework until he knew Jeongguk was safe asleep.

Taehyung prefered not to dwell on those days.

He knew they were inevitable even though it pained him to see his Jeongguk so broken. It was going to be difficult, he knew it, especially when that darkness took over, and he could barely recognize the boy before him.

Jeongguk rarely smiled, laughed. Sometimes he didn't even talk or eat, and the stars, all the pretty galaxies, in his eyes were gone, and he wasn't so sure if they would ever return.

But he was determined, determined to make him happy again, to at least bring a hint of a smile on his lips despite the pain, to see even the tiniest speck of a star in his eyes.

It wasn't impossible, and they had all the time on their hands— they were doing this together.

Eventually, the week in the psychiatry ward passed, and he was able to go back to his main room to continue to rest up.