Chapter 33

Zach P.O.V.

"Zachary?" The very familiar voice asked. "Liam?" I said in surprise. "Long time no see brother." Liam crossed his arms and leaned against the door. "I need help Liam, please. I need to get out of here, before she dies." I pleaded while looking down at Krista's unrecognisable face. "So you finally came back Zachary and I find you trying to murder our father?" I looked into Liam's brown eyes which are filled with sorrow.

"I'm sorry. It wasn't me who decided to leave. Thank our father for that. But I could never come back to that life. You and I were always very different. You were the smart one, the one who took after father. I was the rebelious one. I would go against father in any possible way. I'm sorry we are seeing each other on these terms but I need your help."

Liam looked at me with the same caring eyes he used to back when we were younger. He was the oldest, and he always looked out for me. My twisted father seperated us to live different lives. I haven't seen my own brother in a very long time...

---------

Five years before...

"Zachary, come with me." Father ordered. I followed him in his shadow. "Zachary, listen to me. I need you to leave. You are old enough. You're 14-" 'I'm 12." I grumbled. "Don't interupt me when I talk son. Now what was I saying. Yes, about you leaving. I have you placed in one of my secret organisations. You'll only be there for a few weeks but at least you'll be gone."

A fire blazed inside of me. He doesn't treat me like his own son. I was all just a mistake for Father. Only Liam was meant to be born. Then mother died giving birth to me. He's never forgiven me for that. And no one knows that I'm his son. Press confrences, I'm locked away. He will never be close to me in fear of 'people taking photos'.

"No." I howled. Father looked me deep into my eyes. "You'll do what I say." And with that, he hit me across my face. I fell onto the ground of his office and blood started spilling off my face. Father walked over to his wooden desk which is surrounded by bookshelves, metres high, and yells out an order. "Take this mistake out of my office."

With that, two men in black cloaks came and pulled me away. I kicked and flailed but they wouldn't let go. Liam was standing outside Father's office with shock masked on his face.

---

We both remember that horrible day. The day I never thought I wasn't coming back. The day I never knew I wouldn't see my own brother again. That's the only thing I miss from my old life. Liam. Because he was the only one who actually cared about me. Worried what I was doing. Protected me when I was in trouble.

Now, I'm on my own.

"Liam, please, help me. One more time." I whispered my plea. Liam's expression changed immediately. At that moment, he was my older brother again. "Okay, one more time."

He took Krista out of my hands and held her bridal style in his arms. I had to look away, Krista's blood was seeping into Liam's clean clothes. I can't bare to see her this way. Liam then turned to me. "Security isn't really tight today. They are looking for one of Father's inventions which was stolen. So it'll be easy to get out of the jail wing. But disguising a half-dead girl might be hard for after. We need to get her to the hospital wing, I know people there who will help. So for now, we'll just have to run as fast as we can to the hospital."

I agreed with Liam's plan. "And if something happens to me, Zachary, leave me. Save the girl." I was about to object but he shook his head. "I'd rather die a hero, not a villan, true?" He forced a smile, trying to reassure me. "I don't want to lose you again, Liam." I stated, trying to hold the emotion coming out in my voice.

He ignored my last request and he started heading out of this wing. I followed next to him, staring at Krista's lifeless body laying in Liam's arms. Liam turned to me, staring at me with the same brown eyes we share. "Why do you care so much for this girl?" He asked me. I thought about this hard, why do I care about Krista so much?

"Because I love her." The answer escaped my lips before I could think about it. Liam smiled. "My younger brother found love before me." Liam chuckled. "I know a girl your age called Hilary. Your both leaders and your both stubborn." I laughed as Liam went a light shade of pink.

We made it to the jail's exit and Liam looked at me. "Run like your life depends on it. Because it kinda does. You lead, we'll be right behind." I nodded as I started sprinting through the halls, hearing Liam's footsteps behind mine. I knew exactly how to get to the hospital wing and it isn't very far.

No one was stopping us. Until we spotted a group of four guards outside the science wing of this place. "Hey! Stop!" One of the men screamed out at us but we didn't stop. "I said stop!" He repeated as the guards started running after us. "Only a bit more to go Zachary!" Liam called out. I saw a red cross, the doors of the hospital.

Bang.

"Zachary, I can't keep going!" Liam wheezed out. I turned around and he was on the floor, and Krista a few feet away from him. "Your not giving up on me." I ordered as I chucked Krista over my shoulder and grabbed him tightly by the arm. I ran and ran, getting more tired at the second. "Just keep going." I chanted to myself. I then started hearing shots.

I made it to the hospital and opened the door using my security pass and quickly locked the steel doors, so no one could get in. Blood was dripping down me. I quickly surveyed all of us. I got shot in the arm, Krista was shot twice in her upper leg, and Liam was shot in the shoulder. "Help!" I yelled out as the pain from my bullet wound started getting uncontrollably worse. The thing with the doctors and nurses here is that they aren't under the Ruler's control. They are everyday people.

And older lady saw as and nearly had a heart attack. About ten doctors and nurses came and swarmed around us. Five took Krista, three took Liam and two took me. One of the nurses stuck a needle into my arm. "We'll get you to sleep now." She soothed. "Don't open those doors, don't open them until we are gone." I pleaded to her as my vision became blurred. She leaned in closer to me. "We know exactly who you people are. All three of you are rebels. Even the Ruler's son. The Ruler needs to be overthrown, and you are helping to do that. We are in your debt for doing that. Those doors aren't opening." The lady explained.

My knees went weak and I toppled to the ground.

Then I blacked out.

-------

Teaser for chapter 34: What happens to them now? Is Krista hurt so badly that she won't make it? And you will finally find out about Krista's dark secret...

On the right/top is a photo of Josh Hutcherson, the actor who would play Liam. Again, his brown eyes don't come out in the photo that well, so imagine him with brown eyes :)

Thx for reading! Sorry for the late update, I'm on holidays atm :)

HT12