Chapter 38

The funeral arrangements were made quickly. The incoming threat of winter weather and the beginning of Advent gave only a week after Gideon's passing for a service to be held. Mrs. Ellis stayed with Emmeline for the first two days but had to return to Mooreland Park to resume her duties. She did not leave the home until she was reassured that Mrs. O'Malley would be with the young girl. Dr. Keller and his wife had returned Mr. O'Malley's missive and were to arrive the day before the funeral before taking Emmeline to London.

Emmeline was in a silent daze. She worked with Mrs. Ellis to make the funeral arrangements. It would be a small ceremony. Her father would not have wished for much of a fuss. When Mrs. Ellis left, Emmeline worked with Mrs. O'Malley to prepare the house for guests and also for her departure. She would go to London with the Kellers for a time, while the practice was being settled. This had been decided after the passing of her mother. The Kellers were the closest thing the family had to kin. Her parents were both the only surviving children of tradesman families. Her grandparents had long since passed during her infancy. 

~

Daniel, for his part, gave Emmeline distance during the week. Mrs. Ellis had taken him aside when she returned to Mooreland Park and explained how deep the young girl's grief was felt. He also had Matilda to attend to. His daughter had formed a strong attachment to the elderly fellow and she was too young to remember her mother's own passing so Daniel reassured his daughter in a way he hoped she would understand.

"You know how your Mama was bound to be with the angels darling? That God called her home to be with Grandpapa and Grandmama?"

Matilda nods, snuggling close to her father, wiping her nose on his shirt.

"Well Mr. Gideon was called by the angels as well. And Miss. Emmy told me that one angel in particular was calling rather loudly to him for a long time. You know Miss. Emmy's mama died when she was young, just like your mama. Well Miss. Eleanor was Mr. Gideon's fairy princess, and a fairy prince cannot be without a fairy princess for long. He knew he needed to stay for his daughter, to make sure she would be okay, and when he was sure of that Miss. Eleanor's calls became louder. And now they are together again, watching over their daughter."

"But does that mean you will leave me, Papa? Do you talk to Mama?"

"Sometimes, my dear, but when we talk she tells me how proud she is of you. She and I are both in agreement that I should never leave you for sometime. She knows that you and I have many a wonderful adventure to go on yet."

"Do you think there could be two princesses for one prince, like if one dies like Mama and Mr. Gideon?"

"Of course it is possible my dear, those that have left us for the other realm still want us to be happy on earth and sometimes that means finding a new fairy princess."

"Good, I think it would be sad to only have one princess if they have to go be with the angels too soon."

"I completely agree."

The Kellers arrived the day before the funeral. Dr.Robert Keller was a stately sort of fellow. His years in London gave him a level of brevity that set him apart from those in the small hamlet of Abbotshire. He had met Gideon while at university and the pair had become fast friends. While Gideon knew he wanted to move back to his hometown, Robert looked for bigger and better things. He was the third son of a Maquess, and knew a life of either military service or clergy was to be his future. He did not like either of those and decided to pursue medicine. This allowed him to maintain his connections in London while still earning a respectable income.