― fifteen: fight night

[ CHAPTER 15 : FIGHT NIGHT : hello darkness, my old friend. i've come to talk with you again. because a vision softly creeping, left its seeds while i was sleeping and the vision, that was planted in my brain, still remains. within the sound of silence. in restless dreams i walked alone. narrow streets of cobblestone, 'neath the halo of a streetlamp  i turned my collar to the cold and damp. when my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light that split the night and touched the sound of silence.]

★★★★★

          IT'S BEEN A LONG time since Parker set foot in the French Quarter of Arcadia, but for some bizarre reason, Leo insisted they had to visit La Petit Paris one of the more well-known French restaurants in the vicinity. It's a small glass bi-level French brasserie with a patio and herb garden on the roof. It's a French beauty that screams 'next-big-date-night' written all over it. When the two teenagers enter―wrapped in the coldness of the outside―they're greeted by the view of couples, ranging in ages, at every table available. It's all elegant, chic, and modern as the two are guided up the glass staircase to the rooftop patio garden.

          They're seated at a blue and yellow mosaic table, near the wrought iron railing overlooking the mountain side, with string lights hanging above their heads, and boxes of pink and orange flowers surrounding them. It's both beautiful, and intimidating; at the same time cozy as the heat from the outdoor fire pit crackles beside them.

          Parker glances around the area, feeling uncomfortable at the view of so many couples―mainly adults out on date night. The last time she was here, in the French Quarter, was for Victoria's sixteenth birthday. The petite girl insisted on trying escargot because of how odd it was. She hasn't been back since. It's almost nostalgic, and fuels her with memories of laughter and Victoria puking outside the restaurant while she was cheered on by her younger brother who wanted to see as much vomit as possible. Parker's pretty sure that she almost puked that night as well. It was quite a night.

          "Why here?" She questions, lifting her head to look at him. Leo looks away from the soft leather menu looking pleased with everything around him.

          He shrugs, "It looked nice."

          "This is a place people go on dates, Leo," Parker runs a hand down her ponytail before flicking her eyes to look back down at the menu. "We're just friends."

          His ears perk-up, "We're friends now?"

          She nods.

          "Still, they have good food, so why not?" Leo looks back down at the menu and purses his lips. "I mean, who doesn't like la salade de chèvre? I mean, I don't know what it is, but it sounds French enough to be good." Parker snickers as she looks between the menu and him. The thought of attending a clear-cut date night restaurant, as friends just because the food is probably good―sounds absolutely ridiculous. And yet, she doesn't mind, letting herself go along with it.

          The fire crackles, and she enjoys the warmth that flows from it to wrap around her body. "We should share the marguerite―it's cheap, and while not French, I'm sure it's good." Leo nods, folding the menu back before placing it down on the table once more. Parker does the same, putting her menu on top of his.

          "Any way to save money, right?"

          Parker nods, "My dad's favorite thing to do." Leo chuckles, and the two relax into their metal seats. Enjoying the view of the snow on the mountains and nearby buildings, and the feeling of the heat on their barely warm bodies. Even though they're silent, they're still enjoying each other's company. Surprisingly, Leo's not too bad to hang around. He's comforting. Like Victoria but crazier and more hyper.