29. Meetings with Prince Chang

Chapter 29.
Meetings with Prince Chang.

Seon-woo found himself sitting face to face with crowned Prince Chang. He acted as noble as he could, letting his ire for the man's behaviour shine through in righteous challenge and sharp barbs.

Here was the truth of the matter. Seon-woo had been angry at Ji-dwi, furious even. He had been unable to think about him without warring emotions of rage and sorrow paralyzing his heart. A part of him felt betrayed because his new best friend was responsible for the death of his old one.

Except for the one little detail that Ji-dwi had not actually killed Mak-moon. He had taken the blame of a law written and carried out at the will of his mother. And hadn't he himself said that the King was coward, incompetent and stupid for failing to look after his subjects? Ji-dwi was always taking the blame, inviting others to hate him and whatever he stood for, as a way of atoning for his perceived sins. Sins he was not even responsible for.

The cold hard truth was that Queen Ji-so and the guard had killed Mak-moon. It had been on the Queen Dowager's orders and it had been the blade of the head of the royal guard that had stabbed Mak-moon. They were the killers, the murderers. Yet somehow, through all of this, they had gotten Seon-woo and Ji-dwi to shoulder all the guilt and blame.

Ji-dwi was nothing like his mother. He was a King who disparaged about himself, who apologized earnestly, who felt guilt shamelessly, who stepped up to take responsibility for actions that were not even his own. How could Seon-woo hate and kill this person? How could he, after Ji-dwi claimed that he was his only friend and he preferred being his friend over being King?

This man in front of him, was no ruler of Seon-woo's. He was a terrible excuse for a human being. As Seon-woo would probably be dying regardless, he felt no compunctions about being brash. If it meant that he could somehow soften the blow of whatever Prince Chang had intended for Sa-do, then he was willing to risk it.

Because he knew his sister was strong, but she was not invincible and he didn't particularly fancy seeing her all broken and scared. So Seon-woo was unhesitant as he lashed out, first with his tongue and then he invited the Prince to a lashing with the sword. When handed the two di, Seon-woo met the eyes of the crowned Prince as he dropped the two wooden pieces on the table.

Twelve.

The highest possible number and also, a better luck than Prince Chang.

...

The General guided him back to the prison cell. The first thing he noticed on entering was Sa-do. Soo-ho had his arm around her shoulder as she leaned into him and wept quietly.

"Are you okay?" Soo-ho asked him and then amending himself, "are you alright?"

Seon-woo gave a brief nod ignoring the formal language that just sounded silly coming from him. He turned to Ban-ryu. He had a lot of questions for his fellow Hwarang and roommate but the crushed and guilty look on his face stopped Seon-woo short. Instead, he just told him, "I hope nothing happens that you end up regretting your decision for your whole life because you were too busy following orders to impress Gakan."

Ban-ryu didn't look up. He didn't respond. It was doubtful if he even heard him over the battling emotions that were passing his face.

There were footsteps and two guards and the General entered, followed by Prince Chang himself. "Sa-do-ssi," he greeted as the guards unlocked the door. "How about that conversation I promised?"

"Leave her out of this," Seon-woo almost pleaded, as he stood before her like a barrier.

"Ahh that was not part of the plan King Jinheung. We will settle things between ourselves tomorrow. Let me sort out the matters regarding her for now. I just want to talk," the crowned Prince exclaimed as the guards entered to drag Sa-do out despite Soo-ho's attempts to stop them.

Sa-do collected herself as she was escorted out. She threw one last glance at the four Hwarangs. Ban-ryu looked remorseful and was unable to meet her eyes. Seon-woo and Soo-ho looked worried and helpless. And Ji-dwi, well Ji-dwi looked so pained and broken she forgot about her own oncoming fate. How was she going to get him to return back to himself?

...

Sitting in front of Prince Chang, Sa-do forced herself to stay still and avoid any nervous fidgeting.

"King Jinheung and I are going to have a fight tomorrow," the man said and she forced herself not to react. He had the wrong person as the King and she was worried that her oraboni might end up suffering for it. The crowned Prince continued, "I want you to join Princess Sook-myeong tomorrow instead of standing with the Hwarang."

There was no missing the underlying hint to his request. She would have to be there as a girl instead of a fighter. "You know," the vile man said, his lewd gaze focused solely on her, "Princess Sook-myeong refused a marriage alliance between South Buyeo and Silla." Then getting up and walking to stand behind her, he leaned down close to her ear, "I don't see why you can't fulfil it and unify the two nations in peace."

A shiver ran down Sa-do's spine as she tried not to flinch away in disgust and fear. This man was one of the worst kinds of people out there. And the fact that he was royalty, meant that his whole kingdom would have to suffer for it. Gathering her courage she stood up, turning to face him and said in an unwavering voice, "we will see about that after the fight."

Prince Chang chuckled, "you are fierce. No issue." Stepping forward, he brushed his finger across her cheek. "I will enjoy breaking you."

Sa-do froze. She fisted her hands so hard that her fingernails broke the skin of her palm to draw blood adding to the already dried blood that had stained her hand earlier that day. In a moment of rage she reached out towards his waist and pulled out his sword. With an agile spin she deftly pressed the exposed blade to his neck.

"We will see about that," she gritted out, enunciating each syllable with all the hatred she had developed for him. With that she dropped the weapon with a loud clang and strode out of the room.

The General was waiting outside. "Should I find my own way or will you take me back?" she wondered when he made a move to check on the crowned Prince, obviously having heard the sound of metal. The General looked conflicted before he nodded and lead her outside.

As they were passing some barracks, pained cries and pleas echoed around them. "Are these Silla's prisoners?" she asked calmly, trying to sound unfazed.

The warrior nodded. "Yes."

They soon reached the prison cell where she had spent most of her hours in in Baekje. The other Hwarangs were startled by the noise and their eyes locked on Sa-do as she joined them in the small cell. The guard locked the gate and left them alone.