Chapter 27

Back to school. The difference of when I had left to when I got back would not seem drastic, but it was. Everyone was giving me pity stares and multiple people who I've never talked to before had asked me very invasive and personal questions about the whole situation. When will people learn to be decent human beings.

The hallway was as stuffy as it was loud and recovering from a concussion this location was not exactly the ideal place to be. Even when I'm not recovering from a concussion this place would never be ideal. I finally reached my locker having to slightly shoulder check some freshman in my way. Whatever he's probably annoying anyways.

"Hey dumbass," Anders voice spoke from behind me. His arms snaked around my waist as he places a chaste kiss against my neck. I turned to him returning the kiss and wrapping my own arms loosely around his neck.

"Where were you this morning?" I asked him as we detached from each other and I had the opportunity to open my locker and get the textbooks collecting dust from my locker from the lack of using them.

"I had to come early to hand in some homework that I did while I was at the hospital with you." He told me grabbing my books from my own hands with a smile.

"Not that I don't love you being my little nurse and personal butler, but I can hold my own books thank you very much." Still he refused and instead turned around and began walking down the hallway only stopping to turn around and nod for me to hurry up. I rolled my eyes, but obliged closing my locker and catching up to him at a speed walking pace.

We held hands all the way to class. No one said anything. I sent a few people angered looks when they decided to stare too long, but Anders didn't even notice. That or he could not care less. Either way I enjoyed that about him. He lived in his own little comfort world and the only people allowed to join are those he chooses. I'm glad he chose me.

"Alright this is your class I'll met you at lunch text me if you need me, bye baby," and with that he was gone running down the now practically deserted hallway as the final bell rang. I shook my head at him and stepped into my own class taking one the few last seats next to Sam.

He greeted me with a nod as he pulled out his textbook from his backpack. The teacher began to talk but I just tuned her out and turned towards Sam instead trying to strike up a conversation.

"Hey man everything ok?" He didn't respond just gave me a thumbs up with a blank face. Weird.

I decided to ignore it just boiling it down to him being in one of his shitty moods today. Throughout class I kept glancing at him to see if he was looking back or at least noticing me looking at him, but alas no such luck. Before I could even process what was happening the bell signalling the end of class rang. I was stuck with an empty note book and a friend who didn't even want to talk to me for a reason I didn't even know.

I tried to ask him something again but when I turned to his seat he was gone. When the fuck did he even get up? I just sighed and packed up my own shit before leaving. I pulled out my phone and sent a text to Margo.

To: other half 🤢 (Margo)
From: dumber half 🥰 (Connor)

Hey have you talked to Sam recently? He's being cold to me and I have no idea why.

To: dumber half 🥰
From: other half 🤢

Did you forgot today's date or something? Dude be a better best friend.

Oh shit. Looking down at my phone my fears were confirmed. Today's date was September 18. It was the two year anniversary of Sam's older brother, Marco, passing. I'm such an idiot how could I forget. I pulled up his contact and decided to apologize before he hates me forever.