Chapter 27: Darkness

"I feel weird," Destiny whispers for probably the hundredth time. "And every other uncomfortable emotion."

"Chill. You look cute," April says.

Destiny looks down at her outfit, inwardly shuddering. She looks like someone who literally gives no craps about how they look. She's wearing rather baggy sweats with her tail tucked into the leg to hide it, plus a very large hoodie with the hood flipped over her ears. She can't make direct eye contact with anyone, because then they notice her eyes and skirt around her like she's got the plague.

"I look like a shady drug dealer or something," she mumbles.

"Think more...tired college student," April suggests.

She sighs heavily, shoving her hands into the pockets of her borrowed hoodie. She still gets strange looks from passerby, but they're minimized by April's surprisingly cheery presence. Destiny must look far less intimidating with the pretty redhead next to her.

"Want to stop for lunch?" April asks, adjusting the bag containing Destiny's new outfit. "We could visit Murakami. I bet he'd love to have you visit during the day for once."

"That sounds great, actually," Destiny agrees.

They take off in the correct direction down the street, hurrying across the road with a throng of other pedestrians as they make way for the familiar noodle shop.

There's only one or two people inside when the teens get there. Murakami waits by the counter, smiling pleasantly as he stares straight ahead. The bell jingles as April pushes the door open. Destiny already feels better just by walking inside.

"Murakami-san!" the disguised mutant greets, hurrying over to the counter.

"Destiny-chan," he responds, smiling fondly in the direction of her voice. April settles down next to Destiny, earning her own smile. "And April-chan. It is strange to hear you two during the day."

"Des has a disguise," April says under her breath.

"Oh, I see," Murakami chuckles.

"It's been so long since I've been here," Destiny sighs, resting her head on her hand. "I'm sorry, Murakami."

"You have a life to live, child. You need not worry about me," he says. He rubs his hands together before brushing them off on his apron. "What would you like today?"

"Pizza gyoza for me," April says.

"I'll just have the ramen," Destiny says.

He starts making the two dishes, handing them off to us with his usual swiftness. Destiny digs into her ramen, but can't help but glance over at April's wooden platter of gyoza. The redhead eats one, sighing in delight.

"Pizza gyoza, huh?" Destiny asks. "What's that?"

"Murakami made them for the guys," April says before pinching a gyoza between her chopsticks and holding it out to Destiny. "Try it."

Destiny leans over and eats the gyoza, her entire mouth instantly exploding with flavour as she chews. She works at it, lifting her fingers to her mouth and turning away.

"Woah," she mumbles to herself, finally able to speak as she swallows the gyoza. "That was crazy...it's like eating a Japanese-style pizza."

"That's the idea," April teases. She lifts another between her chopsticks and stares at it. "The guys eat them whenever we come here. I like to vary my decisions."

Destiny smiles as she returns to her bowl of ramen. Murakami calls goodbye to a few other customers as they pay and leave the restaurant. April and Destiny eat in a comfortable silence.

Destiny polishes off the last bit of her ramen as April finishes up her own food. Destiny wipes her mouth with her napkin and crumples it, giving the empty dish back to Murakami. The man collects both her dishes and April's, wandering off to the back room of the restaurant to deposit it in the kitchen.

April and Destiny sit on their stools and wait, April holding the money to pay for their meal. A minute passes, then three, then five.

Destiny stands up, her stomach twisting as she narrows her eyes.

"Destiny?" April asks as her friend starts to creep towards the door that Murakami disappeared through.

"He should've been back by now," she whispers.

She reaches the door, grasping the handle and pushing it open before going inside. The shelves of spices and ingredients surround her, the smells mingling in her sensitive nose as she searches for an unfamiliar scent. It's completely dark save for the sliver of light coming from beneath the door that leads to the kitchen.

Destiny moves further into the room, her eyes adjusting to the gloom as she continues sniffing.

Something drops down behind her and clamps a hand over her mouth. A muffled scream emerges from her throat as she thrashes against the body behind her, but it's like fighting a moving statue. A broad arm pins her own arms down, minimizing her struggle.

"Stop," a low, gravelly voice orders.

She wrenches her head to the side, momentarily freeing her mouth in time for her to lunge and chomp down on the pale flesh of a hand. Her attacker only makes a small gasping sound before releasing her and sending her stumbling forwards into a metal spice rack. Destiny turns to shout for help, but a blunt object smacks her over the head and sends her spiralling into blackness.

"Destiny?" April calls, her silhouette appearing as she opens the door.

The redhead stops short when she hears the sound of a body collapsing. Her skin tingles, making her take a hesitant step back. A cloaked figure turns to her, their hair rather noticeable even in the dim lighting.

"Not about you," he says, the accent in his voice making a shiver crawl up her spine. "You get three seconds to run."

April doesn't hesitate to turn and race away.