Chapter 18 - Olivia

"Please don't make me go."

"Too bad," Grace grabs a pillow and smacks me with it. Twice. "This is what you get for dragging me to all the parties I didn't want to go to. Now I'm dragging you."

"But why do you even want to go?" I sit up and scowl. "You hate parties and suddenly you're up for this one?"

"It's a bonfire," She corrects. "I love reading on the beach so yes, I want to go. But I'm not going alone so take your grumpy butt out of bed already."

"I'm not grumpy."

"You said grumpily."

"I'm fine!"

"You said sadly."

"I'm not sad," I groan and dive face-first on my bed.

"You have a face full of makeup and you just got it all over your bedsheets. You're definitely sad."

Shit. I sit up and wince at the streaks of lipstick on there before looking at Grace again. "Okay. Point made. But I still don't want to go."

"And I still don't care," She grabs me by the ankles and yanks. I yelp as I slide off the bed and land on my ass, groaning at the burst of pain shooting up my spine.

"Grace! When the fuck did you get so violent?"

"I blame you. Your temper rubbed off on me."

"And I think your anti-socialism rubbed off on me because I really don't want to go. Please."

She sighs and sits down, joining me on the floor. "You don't want to go because you know Beck is going to be there."

"Nu-uh," I mumble unconvincingly. But she's right and we both know it.

I selfishly believed Beck and I would be fine. Hoped is the better word. I selfishly hoped Beck and I would be fine. After our kiss exploded in our face I was anxious to see him in class but he didn't show up. I knew in my gut he was avoiding me. When he texted me later in the day I thought it was just a misunderstanding, more so when I read his casual text. Did I miss anything important? Twisted my ankle at practice. I was relieved that he wasn't avoiding me on purpose but that didn't mean we were okay. That was made all too clear from the way he was texting me. I could tell his tone was off and when I asked if I could come see him, bring some food or anything he needed, he said it was better I didn't. Now his teammates are hosting this beach bonfire and from the Instagram stories I saw Beck looks perfectly fine. I know he's not the type of person who would lie about an injury but it did seem like he exaggerated it to get out of class.

"Come on," Grace urges softly. "Even if he's there so what? It's like ripping off a bandaid. You guys just have to get over this awkward lump and then you'll be fine."

"I know," I say because she's right. Beck is too sweet to hold a grudge. I know we'll be fine down the road. I just hate that things are going to be weird for a while. "Okay, fine. Whatever. But we come home after an hour?"

"Deal," She stands up and grabs my hands, taking me with her. "Now get ready and dress warm."

"It's the end of fall. I don't understand why this party is on a beach of all places."

"Me neither but I guess these are the times in our lives we get to be stupid and reckless. If not now, then when?"

"Aren't we feeling wise today?" I smack her ass as I pass her and open up my closet. "I hate dressing warm and cute. It takes forever to look presentable."

"Just throw something on."

"Have you met me? I never leave the house without a coordinated outfit."