Chapter 30

Leo took one look at the two women facing each other in the hallway of the palace, both with princes following them, and decided that he wanted absolutely nothing to do with what happens afterwards. Unfortunately, Espen had saw him and idiotically yelled out a greeting while waving, "Yo! Prince Leo!"

The other three immediately look at him and Leo has now lost his chance to escape. He sighs, then smiles brightly and throws an arm around a confused Aiden's shoulders and pulls the poor boy back several steps.

"You have never seen these two interact before, unless you suddenly have earth magic too, don't stay too close." Leo whispers, hoping that his expression doesn't look like a dying man's expression.

Aiden thankfully didn't spit up a new personality to go with his newly awakened magic and obediently stepped back.

Crown Princess Antheia Torres and her brother Prince Espen aren't very frequent visitors of Aqua's royal palace for one reason: Astara is mysteriously always there when they are. Unfortunately, no one can get Astara to stay in one place for long enough to tell her to stop doing it and the ones who can are simply too scared to do so.

...except mother. Mother would always have a staring match with that Astara and one of them will eventually have to relent.

"Fancy seeing you here, your highness." Astara greeted, chin raised subtly and looking down at Princess Antheia and that is number one on the checklist done. Number two, she continues with, "I would have thought that after last time's display, you would be most reluctant to come again."

Oh boy. Even Espen at this point is slowly backing up. Aiden seems confused.

Antheia smiles, though one can see the wordless fury very plainly stated in the rest of her expression. "My, I thought that someone would have learnt to display manners. Am I wrong?"

Here comes number three. "No, your highness, you aren't." No, not that. That's two and a half, this is three.

"I just thought the same thing."

Did anyone else hear the snap of Antheia's self-control breaking? No? Leo looks outside and catches a brief, intentional flash of black. He motions towards the other two princes and asks whichever shadow guard is out there to please take them away from the soon-to-be warzone and to some tea party so they can continue being delicate princess—ehem! Refined princes.

That just now was a slip of his tongue please ignore it.

As expected though, both women start fighting and Leo hopes they can herd themselves to the training grounds and not fight in the hallway—there goes the wall.

He probably should have done better but. Uh.

Big brother, save me! Is the only thought in his mind right now.

/|\|/|\|/|\|/|\|/|\|/|\|/|\|/|\

Aiden lets out a little "oof" as he is dumped onto a rather large balcony from where he can look down and see Lady Astara and Princess Antheia fight. Prince Espen is simularly put down beside him and he awkwardly smiles at the other.

Lady Astara had told him that he looks practically irresistible when smiling. Aiden prefers taking it as a compliment.

Prince Espen freezes though, for a moment. Then, his smile widens and he gets up before offering a hand. "I really like your smile, you should smile more!"

"Eh?" Aiden blinks, then smiles. "...sure!"

Prince Espen looks slightly red and Aiden finally takes the offered hand. Only, the Terra prince doesn't let go for some reason and even holds him tighter. It's starting to hurt. "Uh, Prince Espen could you please—"

"Espen." Prince Espen interrupts him. "Call me Espen and I'll let you go."

There is something dark in his eyes. Aiden gulped, looked down at the fight and then at Pr--Espen before slowly saying, "Espen, please let me go."

And he is let go, right after being pulled forward.

Aiden face-plants onto Espen's chest ungracefully, immediately flails and falls onto his rear end again. Espen laughs and pulls him up again. He flushes red and decides to simply look at the fight ongoing down there, watching as the two women clash swords... where did Lady Astara get a sword?

He remembers very clearly that she did not bring one.

"You like Astara?" There is something dark in his tone and Aiden didn't like it. He is unfamiliar with this kind of darkness.

...he knew he liked her but being called out on it is embarrassing! Aiden's face probably looked like a tomato now and damnit so what if he had a crush?! Lady Astara is always patient with him and doesn't get angry even when he loses control of his magic and burns her and she's really strong and beautiful...

And, and she had darkness magic but the darkness is completely different than the one his family always showed him.

OK maybe it was getting way out of hand for a crush.

Espen then tells him, "You should give up. She likes my sister there."

Aiden takes that thought, looks at the two women fighting as if they are archenemies and question marks almost visibly popped out of his head. Espen laughs at his expression and says, "My sister also does that to the person she likes, don't worry it isn't domestic abuse... just two people who love fighting and can't talk about their feelings like normal people."

...sure...

Aiden didn't believe him at all. Espen laughs nervously at the intense scrutiny and rubs his nose.

/|\|/|\|/|\|/|\|/|\|/|\|/|\|/|\

Where the hell did that f*cker go? Astara scowled and shadows seemed to widen just a bit more.

Whispers, murmurs and the shadows directed her. Astara kicks the door open and ignores her beloved Antheia, directly kicking her beloved's brother and relishing in the flash of fear in his eyes. That's right.

Fear me.

How dare you try to lay a hand one someone who is mine?

He's mine, my student.

You aren't worthy of standing in his presence.

Fear me.

"Astara!" Beloved Antheia shouts, anger in her eyes and the way her hand flicks to the sword at her belt. Astara ignores her and sneers at the boy who was getting up and readying magic, "I heard you talked to Aiden?"

"So?" Espen gets up and winces. Bruising? "I heard you didn't even react so extremely to your brother liking someone."

That's different and everybody knows it. Elroy has been in love with Allan for so long no one remembers a time it was different and he knew that if Allan is hurt in any way then Astara would maim him. Espen is from a different kingdom and therefore doesn't know--

how the shadows twine and--

pull and--

tear apart anyone who they don't like--

and how on some days, Astara is darkness itself.

Goddess of darkness, do not meddle.

/|\|/|\|/|\|/|\|/|\|/|\|/|\|/|\

That last one was a ride. Oof, next time will have Elroy's POV finally! And a peek into the gods side of things! For some reason, I feel very hyped right now...

please don't expect anything I am irresponsible and have no self-control

Words: 1155