part three

"How's school going?" Minju's mother asks, sounding uninterested as always

"How's school going?" Minju's mother asks, sounding uninterested as always. It's the same obligated question that comes out of her mouth every evening over the dinner table.

"Just fine, mother." She smiles. "The teachers of our year are still planning the trip." The daughter replies, eyes meeting her parents' with so much enthusiasm that her mother had to look away.

"If you're not busy this weekend, we should go visit your brother." Her father suggests, twirling his fork around the carbonara pasta. "It's been quite a while."

Minju's eyes suddenly turn glossy when their gaze fall onto the empty seat faced diagonal to hers across the round glass dinner table. The chair is devoid by the presence of her older brother.

"I'm.. busy this weekend." Minju meets her father's eyes who doesn't take offend of his daughter's refusal. "I have a project to do."

"Oh yes. Mr. Heinz told us. Writing a novella with a partner." The mother takes a sip of the Dom Perigon champagne. "Are you working with Lee Jeno?"

Minju shakes her head, suddenly feeling full but she forces herself to finish the carbonara anyways. The dish being one of her least favourite.

"I'm paired with Liu Yangyang."

Her father's hand stop moving from bringing the fork curled with pasta to his mouth and her mother had to stop herself from choking on her drink.

The parents exchange intrigued looks that didn't go unnoticed by their daughter who sit there and questioning - some of - her own parents' actions.

"Liu Yangyang. He's Chinese right? The son of the businesswoman Liu Yuxing?" Her mother asks, tounge dripping with hate as if she's allergic to the word 'Liu'.

Minju nods.

Silence wraps the room. Her parents are suddenly not looking so uninterested and bored anymore. It's as if they come to know of a threat that they don't wanna address in front of her.

"You need to do better in German, Minju." Her mother clears her throat. "I'm telling Mr. Heinz to give you more homework and tasks. Do the project on weekends and when you're in school only. As soon as you come home, you do the tasks sent to you."