Chapter Twelve

Following her argument with her sister, Cassiopeia felt terribly alone. Even though there was plenty of space beside Narcissa at the table, Cassiopeia refused to sit anywhere near her. Instead, she chose to sit alone at the bottom of the table. She knew she wasn't being fair on Narcissa but she was angry that her sister defended Bellatrix's actions as though she hadn't murdered an entire family. 

"Is this seat taken?" Cassiopeia's thoughts were interrupted by Rabastan Lestrange as the tall, mysterious boy stood in front of her. As she slowly nodded, he sat down opposite her, "I feel as though I owe you an apology."

Cassie eyed him curiously, "Why?"

"I asked to be your friend at the wedding, yet this is the first time we have spoken this year."

"Oh," Cassiopeia laughed, "I don't mean to cause offence but I hadn't given it a moments thought."

Rabastan smiled, "You definitely are a Black."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You don't mince your words. Your sister Bellatrix certainly doesn't. You should hear how she speaks to my brother. He isn't used to it."

Cassiopeia let out an awkward laugh, "Bella's never liked to listen to anyone. Other than the Dark Lord of course."

"Is everything okay between you and your sister? Narcissa?"

Cassiopeia glanced over at her, the elder girl quickly looking away, "We had a disagreement, nothing for you to worry about."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I'm sure we'll sort it out soon enough."

Cassiopeia watched as Rabastan talked to her. It was as though she was in a state of shock. Rabastan Lestrange had earned himself the reputation of being aloof and standoff-ish. Yet, there he was smiling at her, clearly wanting to be her friend. Even though he was only a second year, he had become very popular with the ladies of Hogwarts, all of whom spent most their time gawking at him, hoping they'd be lucky enough to talk to him. But he was talking to her - Cassiopeia Black. 

For anyone other than Cassiopeia it was to no surprise that Rabastan had chosen to be her friend. The youngest Black sister was already a beauty at the age of thirteen. Her dirty blonde hair was always in perfect waves down her back, and how she held herself showed she was confident. Even James Potter could admit she was somewhat attractive, even if he did quickly add that her being an obnoxious Slytherin cancelled it out. It wasn't only her beauty that made her stand out though, it was the fact she was consistently top of her class. The girl had already shown her professors that she was the brightest of her sisters and that if she chose her future could be very bright. 

Rabastan decided to sit beside her in Defence Against the Dark Arts, showing her he was committed to becoming her friend. And she would have been lying if she said his presence had no effect on her as she spent most the lessons giggling at his jokes and comments about their classmates. 

James Potter made their class more entertaining as he tried to show off as he always did, only for Cassiopeia to prove who was the cleverest of the two. Every time Potter turned to glare at the couple, Rabastan would laugh causing Cassiopeia's smile to widen. 

Before James even got the possibility to throw a snarky comment towards Cassiopeia, she and Rabastan had already strode out of the classroom. Instead, all he could do was watch as her figure grew smaller as she walked away. The confused boy turned to his friends, who were equally as unsure as to what was going on. 

As Cassiopeia and Rabastanw walked down the corridor, she watched as the students cowered away, clearly afraid of the two. She glanced over at Rabastan, catching his eye, before looking straight ahead and smirking as she realised she relished in the power the two of them commanded. Gone were her thoughts of the betrayal and madness in her family. All had been replaced with Cassiopeia's happiness of Rabastan's friendship.