Chapter Fourteen

The first thing Cassiopeia noticed when Bellatrix arrived for dinner was the drastic change in her appearance. It had shocked the young girl so much that for the entirety of the meal, her eyes were glued to her sister. She watched everything she did and if Cassiopeia had not known who she was, she would have called her sister a madwoman. Gone was the girl she had grown up with. Bellatrix's once gentle waves had been replaced with frizzy, tightly curled hair as though it was reflecting the madness within. 

"Muggles sicken me," Bellatrix seethed as she stabbed her fork into a piece of meat, "Dumbledore continues to bring shame to Hogwarts. The Dark Lord wants to stop the old buffoon before he completely destroys our wizarding community."

Her mother and father clearly agreed as they nodded their heads eagerly, "We are right behind him. Whatever he needs, we'll help him!"

"Of course, he knows he can rely on us. He respects our family greatly."

Cassiopeia's face remained blank as she told Bellatrix, "Everyone knows you murdered that muggle family."

"So?" Bella barked out at her, "I am glad they do. I should kill every muggle that comes near me, bet the ministry wouldn't like that. Just you wait, when the Dark Lord takes over, my day will come. We will be in power, sister."

"Of course, Bella."

"You two don't have anything to do with those creatures, do you?" Bellatrix asked her younger sisters.

Narcissa shook her head while Cassiopeia assured her, "Of course we don't, Bella. They wouldn't dare go near us."

"Good," Bellatrix nodded her head as she began to calm down, "Neither of you will bring shame to our family. The Dark Lord is keen to meet you."

The truth was that Bellatrix's appearance and words had truly rattled Cassiopeia. She had always pushed away her thoughts that Bellatrix was capable of terrible, terrible things, but now it was clear that Bellatrix's talents had been grossly underestimated. Her sister was becoming crazy with her obsession.

As soon as the dinner came to an end, Cassiopeia excused herself and quickly ran upstairs to her bedroom. She leaned against the door as she breathed heavily, trying to hold in all of her tears. She was losing another sister, but this time it was not because of love but hatred. Cassiopeia wanted to scream as she clenched her hands and paced around her room. She wished more than anything that she could be a little girl again, back when she admired all of her sisters.

She sat down at her dressing table and stared at her reflection. She noticed how her own hair was changing as it grew darker, it would not be long before it was entirely brown. She pulled at her locks even though that would make no difference. Cassiopeia wondered whether her own fate matched that of Bellatrix's. She was terrified. Frightened of what her sister would do but mainly what she, herself, was capable of.