Chapter 25

At dinner, everyone decides to do something tonight. I would rather sleep, but I guess it's cool here to get drunk when you've just gotten beaten. I don't wanna go anywhere near alcohol. It made Marcus a monster, what could it do to me? I would also rather not have to hang out with Dean, but Liam already decided he's coming. I would do anything to get out of this. Then all of a sudden someone taps my shoulder. It's not Tobias, it's more delicate and unsure. I turn around at a smile at Tris.

"Hey," I say smiling

"Hi," She says "We might go ziplining later, wanna come?"

"Ziplining?" I ask "What's that?"

She smiles and says "Are you afraid of heights?"

"Depends," I say jokingly

She laughs and says "Meet us at 11:00 pm in the pit," She then whispers "Just you".

I nod and she walks away back to the group, who's now sitting at a table. I was sitting at the end of the table, so I hope no one noticed. Tris doesn't look that much older than me, even if she is. Currently, it's 10:30 pm, and everyone is still talking about what they're gonna do.

"Uh, guys your gonna have to go on without me," I say

"Why?" Liam and Jake say in unison.

I try not to smile and say "A friend I have to catch up with. I haven't talked to her in a while and we just made plans." I tell them

They all just nod and don't ask much more. We talk for the rest of the time and then it's 11:00. I tell them and begin to walk to the pit. I see them all standing there, and they are with more people as well. Older people. I start to feel a little out of place as I got to stand next to Tobias. He smiles at me then continues his conversation. I notice Tris looking a little out of place too, and go to stand with her.

"Hey," I say approaching her

"Hey," She says smiling "Are you excited?"

"Well, I don't even know what I'm doing," I say laughing. She smiles wider and so I decided to ask her something. "So," I begin "You and my brother, huh?" I say jokingly.

"Ah," she says "Ya you could say that. We've been together for a year now." She says, almost proudly

"Oh, how did you guys meet?" I ask

"In my initiation last year," She says cautiously

"Ah, so your-" I begin to say

"17" she finishes "I know it may be weird, I'm dating my instructor," She says looking down

"Yes, that whopping two-year gap is insurmountable isn't it?" I say jokingly

"Oh my god," she says "You are your brother's sister. He said the same thing to me before we got together".

I curtsy a little, being proud and she laughs. I'm glad to be Tobias's sister though. I mean, sister of the legendary "Four", wait till people find out. "He's lucky to have you, Tris," I tell her. She smiles back and says "Thanks". We stand for a little and then she asks a question I didn't expect.

"So um, I'm just curious," She says hesitantly.

"Go ahead you can ask me anything," I tell her.

"Did, he, hurt you too?" She says, not sure how ill react.

"Marcus?" I say. She nods and I say "Yeah, he did. It started for me earlier than when it started for Tobias" I say looking down.

"I'm sorry," she says whispering.

"You don't have to apologize you did nothing wrong," I tell her "He was a sick man, that's that. I did stand up to him though before I chose. Even Tobias doesn't know that"

"Really? You stood up to him?" She asks. I nod and she asks "How?"

"Well, I let him believe that I hated Tobias. That I was angry at him for leaving, even though I was the one who told him to get out of them. So I told him at the ceremony that I'd been lying to him his entire life, and I still loved Tobias, and that he was a weak old man who couldn't take any pain so he gave it to others." I say

She raises her eyebrows in shock, and I feel kind of proud of myself. Now that I say it out loud it makes me feel like I did something to change him. He may still be a monster, but he knows I'm no longer his well behaved Abnegation daughter. I'm Divergent.

By now everyone starts to walk over to the doors to go "zip-lining" and I follow after them. Tris goes ahead with Uriah and Marlene and I stay behind with Tobias.

"You ready?" He asks me, putting an arm across my shoulder

"Still don't know what we're doing," I say

He laughs and says "I'm gonna be staying at the end. You'll see me when you're done"

"You're not going zip-lining?" I ask

"Heights, not my thing," He says

"Gotcha," I say. We exit the Dauntless compound and walk to the Hancock building. Four leaves about halfway, so I follow with Tris, Uriah, Marlene, Lynn, and Zeke. We get in the elevator, and we can fit if we all squeeze together. It's uncomfortable but I'm guessing it'll be over soon. Somebody clicks the floor 100 button and the elevator shoots up, making my stomach lift. As soon as the door opens, I feel the sharp wind on my face, and my hair flys back even though we're all squished together. People start going out one by one, and Zeke starts to set up black harnesses. At least, that's what I heard them being called.

"Ok, who wants to go first?" Zeke calls out

Everyone backs away slowly, so Tris says "I'll go"

She steps up and Zeke puts the harness around her waist. He ties her and then hangs her from the rope stretched all the way across. My stomach starts to turn for her, and Zeke pushes her slightly. All of a sudden she goes shooting down into the Darkness, but I see her figure as she goes. She stretches out her arms and it makes it look like she's flying. I now get why she likes it so much. After she's far enough Zeke says "Ok, who's next?"

"I'll try it out," I say. What did I just do? I didn't even feel myself wanting to do it, but it's too late to take it back. I would look like a coward.

"Make sure to pull the break when u get towards the bottom," He says pointing to a metal handle attached to the line "If you don't pull it you're going to bust your head in".

I laugh and say "That's exactly what I was hoping for. Suicide. No pressure"

He smiles and then pushes me down, and all of a sudden I'm flying too. I spread my arms out as Tris did, and the wind rushes through my body. The Line is arranged in all different directions so I'm flying everywhere. As I fly next to a building I'm so close to it I can see my reflection in the window. I don't see a small Abnegation girl in the window anymore. I see someone who's brave, and strong. Someone who stood up to her abusive father, someone who jumped first and won a fight and stood up to Dean. Someone who's fallen in love. I never want it to end.

Authors Note: Hey guys! I really hope you liked this chapter! I wanted to say thank you for 300+ views, even though most of them might have been me liking my own story, lol. I also wanted to give a quick shout out to AishaAimen for adding my story to her reading list! I didn't think people wanted to read my story at all, and the fact that you took time out of your day -even just a few seconds- to read my story and add it,  means so much to me. Thank you for reading, I love you all! 😋♥

-Violet