17. B A X

I raced out the house, tears falling down my face.

I never cried.

I was a man. Men never showed their emotions. Yet today I did.

I unlocked the car, and slumped into the drivers seat. Banging the steering wheel with almighty power, I screamed in frustration. The car shook as much as I did.

"Fuckkkk." I screamed as I Gripped the steering wheel. I felt my nails pierce into the leather.

I dialled Mr Marvin. He gave me strict instructions to phone him as soon as I'd told her.

I felt sick just saying that in my head.

Worst part about it was she told me she loved me. How much I wanted to tell her that back. I loved that woman like I'd never loved anyone, and I'd thrown it away because of that insane bastard.

Talk of the devil, he picked up the phone in seconds.

"Is it done?"

"Yes."

"Good, we'll discuss the wedding next week or something. Maybe sooner." Without even a goodbye, he put the phone down.

'Short and sweet' I could imagine him saying.

All I could hear now was the rain, and my heavy breathing. I wanted the ground to swallow me up. I didn't deserve to be on this earth.

You have to do this

You have to protect her

She deserves more than this

He will ruin her life, he will take her job

I repeated it over and over, until my brain couldn't function anymore. I couldn't form words in my head or think straight, and I was still sat outside Lucy's house.

I turned the key, but before I drove off, I looked up at her bedroom window. The light had flickered on, the curtains had shut, and then it went dark. She'd already gone to bed, and it was only half four.

I knew that woman just from these few days, and I knew that she was nursing a broken heart from what I'd said. I'd hurt her, ruined her, and broke her. I left her when she needed me. I left when all I wanted was to be with her.

But I had to do right by her and our baby. Our baby needed her, and she needed a job to look after her.

All I could think about was how perfect these past few days have been. Last night we'd spent it in each other's arms, I couldn't get enough of her. I just wanted to be with her. Hearing her little whimpers as I kissed her, and the soft touch of her skin on mine was heaven.

Funny how when you realise you love someone, it's always too late.

Shaking my head at the mess I'd caused, I eventually drove home. I'd stared up at the window torturing myself with thoughts of the past few days for too long.

As I pulled out of the driveway, I noticed the rain come down heavier. By the time I reached the first set of traffic lights it had turned violent, rain aggressively smacking onto my car. A storm was brewing, and if I didn't get home I'd get caught up in it.

The wipers were on max speed, but I could still barely see the road ahead. I opted for my fog lights, hoping it would allow me to see more of the road ahead, but it didn't do anything. The road was still a dark, soaking mess.

I almost jumped out my seat when the thunder roared above me, and a flash of lightning sparked a light in my car.

"Jesus Christ."