one

Andrea Castro

My fingers touched the delicate white keys of the piano, the soft melody of notes ringing through my ears. A small smile crept up on my face, realizing this was the only form of escape I could get out of the harsh reality my life was. My Princeton University crewneck was dragging down the sides of my hands as I continued playing.

I hated visiting being home when I wasn't at college. I felt trapped in a world that I felt like I wasn't supposed to be born in. My father was begging for me to visit for a weekend, wondering why I haven't visited in months. I caved in, knowing the most important thing in the world was family to my dad. Because family meant power, well, in this household at least. A soft knock at my door interrupted my thoughts as my hands fell to my lap, my head turning to look at the door.

"Ms. Castro, dinner is waiting for you in the dining room." Mr. Elijah softely spoke, as he opened the door. I smiled at him, nodding my head as he closed the door. Mr. Elijah has been in my life since the day I was born. I always wondered why he hasn't left yet and how he hasn't gotten sick of my dad either. I got up from the small bench that was at my piano, walking to my door and down the hall to get to the dining room.

"Sweetheart there you are! You're always hiding away in your room, come join for me dinner. I've missed you." My father spoke, as he was seated in one of our chairs in his Valentino suit. I held back my eye roll and sighed while joining him at the table. Candles were lit on the table and platters of food were lined up and down. Today's meal was steak and sides of vegetables. I wasn't as hungry as I thought I was and crinkled my nose at the food that was sitting in front of me.

"Where's mom? On one of her business trips again?" I questioned, furrowing my eyebrows towards my dad. It made me sad knowing my mom wasn't here, I was really looking forward to seeing her after being away at college. I figured she wouldn't be here. My theory was that she was of course, cheating on my father, and we've all been suspecting that for a while now. My dad was just in denial, and of course, he would never divorce her. Family was everything to him. 

"Yeah she's in D.C right now, she has a charity event with the First Lady so she won't be back for another few days." My dad answered, his eyes staying focused on the food in front of him. I quickly rolled my eyes, knowing that was probably bullshit of course. I pretended to believe it, cutting my knife slowly into the steak in front of me.

"Okay... well where's Luke? He was here earlier today and now he's not even eating dinner with us." I sighed. I know my father thinks family is so important, yet half of our family aren't even here with us, especially with me visiting from college. My dad looked up at me, chuckling under his breath.

"Oh c'mon Andi, you know your brother by now. He's downtown right now with a couple of his friends. He wanted to hit a few clubs. Apparently he's celebrating a friend's 25th birthday." My father answered lightly, while looking at me. Same old brother of course. He loved this perfect lifestyle my family had. He enjoyed the money and power that came with it, but he abused it so much. Everything to him was always just trying to have a good time because he knew he could do whatever in the hell he wanted to and he would get away with it. 

"Well that's just wonderful. I'm back from college and it seems like no one here really cares enough to see me after months." I huffed under my breath, picking at the vegetables on my plate. My father sighed, his blue eyes peering up at me and giving me a small smile, in hopes of comfort.

"I know honey. Well, at least you have me, and I'm really happy to see you after all these months of you being at college. How's pre-law treating you?" My father smiled at me, while shortly chewing the steak in his mouth. I smiled at him, knowing my father really did miss me. He felt comfort knowing that I was seeking to do something great in my life. I wanted to one day become one of the biggest attorneys in the United States, and he seemed to be the only one to truly believe in me to accomplish it.

"It's good. It's not as hard as I thought it would be. I'm really excited though, I might be getting an internship soon." I answered proudly, while taking a sip of the wine Mr. Elijah put out on the table for me. 

"Andi you know you don't have to struggle to find an internship. I could find you one in a matter of seconds. You know who we are... we're the Castros forsakes." My dad laughed loudly. I bit the inside of my cheek, holding back the insult I wanted to spit. I knew it was going to come sooner or later. My dad thought just because we have the money and the power to do anything, he could just run my life how he wanted. I wanted to do things on my own for once, and all my life he had been running the show. It's my turn to make my own dreams come true, without the help of my father and the millions in his bank account. 

"Dad... you know I wouldn't want you doing that. I want to do things on my own, but thank you." I lightly nodded towards him while taking another sip of my wine. My father nodded his head, quickly swallowing the steak that was in his mouth before he would respond. 

"I know honey, but I'm trying to make things easier for you. But if you really don't want my help, I'll accept that." He huffed. 

The night continued with us talking about my life back at college. I informed my dad of the many friends I've made, but sometimes I get skeptical. I can never tell if someone truly wants to be my friend or if they only wanted to be my friend because of who my dad was. I felt the only true friend I had was Carrie, who I met in one of my classes. She seemed to be the only real friend I've encountered with my 20 years of life on this Earth. 

I informed my dad that I was going to be going to bed shortly. I wished my goodnight to him, and gave him a small hug as he returned one.

"Goodnight Andi, sleep tight." He smiled at me while giving me a kiss on the head. He's been doing that ever since I was a little girl, so I was already used to it.

My feet padded back to my room but for some reason I had goosebumps. The house felt so dark and alone with all the empty rooms and long hallways. I haven't been here in months and it felt so eery. I brushed it off and stepped in my room, quickly shutting the door and locking it behind me. I decided to play a bit of piano before I fell asleep. 

///////

hi guys, this is a new story and well new everything for me :)) writing has always been one of my favorite things, along with harry styles lol so i decided to write a fanfic and try it out

if you could, please comment vote and share! I'm new to this thing so help a girl out lmao

also: i picture Andi to be nina dobrev, but you guys could use your imagination and picture her as anyone! 

get ready bc this is gonna be a wild rideeeee 

-s