𝓢𝓬𝓮𝓷𝓮 𝟔

❝𝒀𝒐𝒖 𝒎𝒖𝒔𝒕 𝒇𝒆𝒆𝒍 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒄𝒆 𝒂𝒓𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒅 𝒚𝒐𝒖. 𝑯𝒆𝒓𝒆, 𝒃𝒆𝒕𝒘𝒆𝒆𝒏 𝒚𝒐𝒖, 𝒎𝒆, 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒕𝒓𝒆𝒆, 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒓𝒐𝒄𝒌,𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒚𝒘𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆, 𝒚𝒆𝒔.❞ -- 𝑴𝒂𝒔𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒀𝒐𝒅𝒂

❈✱❉✤❈✱❉

Astrid heard hurried footsteps behind her, and she turned to see Master Kenobi following after her. "Astrid," he called out, and she slowed to a stop, dread curdling in her stomach as she waited for his words of disapproval.

Astrid had acted unsportsmanlike by leaving the training arena early after her defeat. She doubted that would settle well with the wizened Jedi. Master Kenobi, after all, was the perfect Jedi.

This was Obi Wan Kenobi: The selfless Jedi Knight, the epitome of tranquility. When confronted with conflict, he first tries negotiation and reason. When that fails, he reluctantly resorts to fighting. He prefers using a lightsaber over a blaster when fighting, often criticizing blasters as being uncivilized. Kind and compassionate, Obi Wan Kenobi is often the mediator and he strives always for a greater purpose. This is what makes him selfless, what makes him the perfect Jedi.

So, the very last thing Astrid expected from the perfect Obi Wan Kenobi were words of empathy.

Master Kenobi put a comforting hand on Astrid's shoulder as he pulled her aside to the edge of the hallway near the windows. The setting afternoon sun casted orange-ish bright light on the side of his face facing the window.

"Astrid," he spoke gently. "You mustn't be so hard on yourself. You fought excellently today."

Astrid was unmoved by his praise. "Anakin beat me," she countered, struggling to keep her voice low in the relatively busy hallway. "I lost my weapon. You said it yourself yesterday.That weapon is my life."

Master Kenobi pursed his lips before saying slowly as if choosing his words carefully, "Astrid, all Jedi make mistakes. We are not perfect, though we strive to be. We have all failed at one point in our lives."

"When have you failed?" she blurted without thinking in her disbelief.

Master Kenobi was the perfect Jedi. She had repeated that statement a million times by this point. He didn't fail. It just wasn't possible for him.

A shadow passed over the Jedi Master's usually composed face before he replied evenly, "I failed my master. His name was Qui Gon Jinn."

Astrid remembered Anakin telling her about him yesterday. Anakin had only mentioned in passing that Qui Gon Jinn had died fighting the Sith Lord, Darth Maul.

Master Kenobi continued ruefully, "I failed to save him from Darth Maul. He died in my arms after I defeated the Sith Lord out of vengeance. I have never forgiven myself for that. I had failed him that day."

"But you were only a Padawan," Astrid reasoned, suddenly feeling the strong need to reassure the kind Jedi Master. "There wasn't much you could have done anyways."

Obi Wan Kenobi gave Astrid a small smile as he replied, "And so are you, Astrid. You are still learning. Your failures are meant to teach you valuable lessons. Do not think all failures are a terrible thing."

Ah, this was classic Obi Wan Kenobi, turning a story about him into a lesson for her.

Astrid didn't bother telling him that his failure had been a terrible thing, which was why she wasn't about to let her own master die on Yavin IV.