08 - talks on the dock

✧✧✧

✧✧✧

When I finally pull up to the chateau something immediately feels off about it. The pogues are nowhere to be seen and the Twinkie is still parked in the driveway. that's weird. I glance toward the dock to see if the HMS Pogue is gone but it's still tied to the end. Something is definitely wrong.

I swing my leg over the side of my bike and start to head toward the house but the second my foot touches the ground a shot rings out from inside the house. I immediately duck, my eyes searching for the source of the sound and my eye lock on the window in the side of the house start to slide open.

Kiara jumps out first, quickly followed by the three boys and she is the first to see me. She starts waving at me to follow and I quickly jump to my feet and run into the chicken pen.

"Someone better tell me what the hell is going on or I swear-" I whisper-y'all but I don't get to finish because JJ's hand is over my mouth. "We'll tell you later now shut up!" I nod and he slowly let's go as John b puts a finger to his mouth, shushing us before looking back out towards the house.

The chickens won't stop crowing and soon enough J is fed up with it. "Do something, Pope. Shut him up." He hisses lowly, pointing to the chickens as Pope panics. "What do you want me to do?!" He hisses back

Next to him tears are staining Ki's cheeks as she cries, "Pet it or talk to it- I don't know?!" The rooster then hits the side of the pen and John B jolts back into the wall, signaling that someone heard that.

"Do something." Pope whispers and JJ lunges forward, grabbing the rooster around his neck. He hits it on the ground a few times until the crowing stops and a sickening crack replaces it. I cringe, covering my eyes as he let's go of it and falls back to sit next to me.

The sound of Kiara letting out a small sob is all I can hear before I raise my head to see John B put his hand in hers and I feel JJ's fingers graze my leg. I glance to look at him but he just looks straight forward, trying not to draw attention to it.

"Ratter! What the hell are you doin'? Let's go!" a voice yells quickly followed by footsteps and a door slamming. JJ picks up the limp chicken, holding it in his hands as Kiara whimpers, squeezing her eyes shut. John B crouches up to see what's going on as a car engine starts and pulls away.

"Now can someone please tell me what just happened and who the hell were they?" I ask, my voice shaking still and JJ nods as the others get out of the pen. He then holds out his hand, pulling me out too. Pope and Kiara go back inside the Chateau, John B following shortly behind. Before he walks in though, he turns toward us and points two fingers to his eyes and back to us.