Chapter 180: Fifth Life - Stay with Me III

I feel the complacent wind go by as strands of hair grazed over my face. The clairvoyant air inhaled into my lungs is refreshing, and the sunshine's soft golden beam allows the essence of gentle heat to brush along my skin.

My feet dangle over the sharp cliff down to the boundless forest below. The blue sky meets the green tips of the tallest trees at the horizon.

"Yuxing?" I hear Yang Zi Huo call for me and stand to see him approaching.

"Zi Huo?" I hurried my steps over to him, my hands reaching for his arms.

Searching him for any possible injuries, I don't realize that his physical injuries may not even project in this dream-like realm.

"Where did they send you? Are you okay? You're not hurt?" I ask.

He stays silent with large eyes, boring a hole in my face. "I like it when you're like this."

"What? Like what?" I cross my arms.

He smiles, "I just... miss being like this with you, Yuxing. You can't imagine how long I've wanted for us to be like this again."

I clear my throat. "Well, I guess I understand."

I've missed it too.

He takes a look around the heightened terrain. "Do you remember this place?"

"It looks like Tien Qing Mountain. From our second life."

Yang Zi Huo suddenly pulls me near his chest, his arms wraps around me like wings of a condor protecting its dearest treasure.

"It was here that I..." His voice trembles and a devastating feeling of repentance flows out with his words. "I'm so sorry. Kong Shuguang... tortured himself with visions of you everyday. He couldn't bear to live knowing he was the one who-- The one who killed you."

"Zi Huo." I look up at him and see the tears welling in his eyes. His lips quivering, unable to conceal the hurt inflating within. "Zi Huo, retribution has already been paid for what happened in that lifetime. My body didn't take to your treatment. It was a mistake. Yes, a mistake that caused me my life. It's in the past... Right now, I'm here with you."

"It... all still feels like a dream. I'm so afraid I'll wake up, and you're not really here." His eyes are closed as he reveals this fear. A fear that must have been instilled in his heart for so long as I was always the one to leave first.

"Silly. Whether you're dreaming or awake, I'll always be there. Our connection is divine. Perhaps not blessed by fate, but you know I won't go down without a fight."

A soft laughter escapes his lips. The tension in my heart eases a little seeing his cheery expression.

"Thank you," he says.

"What for?"

His eyes sparkle and a single tear drop streams down his face. "For being my light."

"You're my rock..." I raise my hand to wipe the tears on his cheek.

"Your rock?" His eyebrows furrowed together, his lips curve into a dazed grin.

"Strong, faithful, sincere. Through and through, your devotion to love me is astounding."

"You make me sound like I'm something special."

"Only the most special of all can earn my affection in return."

Softly chuckling, he places his lips on my forehead.

We sit down on the ledge and watch the setting sun's aura of gold and coral reflected in the sky. Embraced in Yang Zi Huo's arms, the tender moment feels familiar. However, this time we aren't bidding farewell until another lifetime.