Chapter 2

Elijah's POV

I storm into my room and flop onto my bed in exhaustion. Milo and Atlantis follow behind me and sit on the blue bean bags by my bed. They've been my best friends since diaper days, and have always had my back. They definitely helped me out on Tuesday when Gray decided to be stupid, even though Milo can't fight and Atlantis is TOO eager to fight.

"I can't believe that jerk! I had to go through a week of lunch detention because Gray threw a tantrum," I yell into my pillow. "Well, at least it's Friday so we don't have to worry about it anymore." Milo says, trying to calm me down. He did have a point; we had just come back from school for the day and besides a few arguments during practice Gray didn't try anything else this week.

"I guess you're right, but my parents weren't really thrilled to hear about me getting in trouble. If only Gray didn't-"

"Uuuugh, enough about Gray!" Atlantis groans, sinking lower into the bean bag. "I swear every time he does something to you it's all you talk about. Let's move on to something else."

"Like what?" I say.

"Well, next Wednesday we finally get to find out what our sub genders are!" she says.

Suddenly, I'm in a better mood and sit up on my bed. "Oh, right! I'd forgotten about that." Another thing that happened this week was that everyone at our school had done testing for our sub gender placement. Since we're all 12-13 years old puberty will be starting soon, so we have to do testing to know what we are and prepare for what we'll need in the future. Without this system and modern technology, we'd be like our grandparents and have to wait until we started showing. Which usually ended in a lot of unprepared people going into heat or rut randomly.

Other than submitting DNA and blood samples, we also did physical assessments to get a guess at what we could be. I did well enough to be an alpha or delta, and (of course) Gray was placed as an alpha. But we all won't know for sure until lab results come back on Wednesday.

"I'm going to be a delta; I can just feel it! There's no way I could be anything less with this type of fighting spirit," Atlantis says, kissing her non-existent biceps.

"Yeah, well they said I could be either alpha or delta with my speed and strength so be prepared," I say.

"Oh please, I can still kick your butt even if you end up being alpha." She's right, she could. Her dad trains the pack's warriors and owns the martial arts dojo that I go to. She's a belt higher than me right now, but that doesn't mean I'm going down without a fight!

"Bring it on!" I say, jumping to my feet. Soon we're fighting and trying to pin each other to the floor. A couple of times I get close to beating her, but she somehow skillfully maneuvers out of my grasp. Poor Milo has to move out of the way to avoid being hit. "You trouble-makers better not be fighting up there!" my mom yells from down stairs. We immediately stop fighting and sit back down. I can't afford to get in trouble again, she already took away my sketch book because of Tuesday's incident.

"Anyways, what do you think you'll get Milo?" Atlantis asks, trying to catch her breath.

"Honestly, I think I'm going to end up being an omega," he says nonchalantly with a shrug.

Atlantis and I look at each other with concerned expressions. We always joked about how Milo couldn't fight but to assume that he was an omega was a bit out there. "Don't say that dude, at least say that you'll be beta," I say.

"Come on Eli think about it. I'm super nice and nurturing, I can barely defend myself, I have a round and chubby face, and you both think that I'm the "mother" of the group. Plus, I'm really good at taking care of the pups at the pack nursery center."