ELEVEN

The Rembrandts: I'll Be There For You

Harry

There was nothing that I took more pride in than when I woke up without an alarm, incredibly early in the morning, just to go into the studio. I liked how much satisfaction I got from the mere thought of recording music. Was seven in the morning too early for me to drop the keys off at Essie's? I took a shower, grabbed all the things I'd need today, checked to see if she'd been online three times, and then I lost my patience and hopped in the car.

"Hello? Anybody awake?", I called out from the foyer, no answer came but there was music on. Was that... her singing?

"If you wake up and don't want to smile... if it takes just a little while. Open your eyes and look at the day... you'll see things in a different way.", it was one of my favourite songs by Fleetwood. I went into the kitchen and saw her twirling around the island, licking a spatula and trying to convince Bono to join her crazy dance moves.

"Don't stop thinking about tomorrow! Don't stop, it'll soon be here. It'll be, better than before... yesterday's gone, yesterday's gone.", she dropped the spatula when I started singing along.

"Harry! Never scare me like that again!! This could've been a knife, you know?", Essie picked the spatula up off the floor and swung it in front of my face threateningly, which only made her look cuter.

"I am well aware, but I did say I was coming in... it's not my fault you were singing loudly.", she frowned, "It's my favourite, Harry. It would be a crime not to give it my all. Do you have time to stay for breakfast or are you in a rush?".

"I can stay for a while.", lie, Styles... I was excited to hit the studio, but it seems Essie knew how to steal my focus with only her smile.

"I'm making pancakes. I've never made them, so we're focusing on edible over delicious, okay?", I nodded and set the island with some plates, Nutella and cut up two bananas.

"Hey, I never asked last night, how did you end up with my keys?"

"I had to take Bono for a walk while you were at the gala, so I had a little look and found them in one of these drawers. That's why I'm here, to give them back.", the first batch of pancakes was done, and they didn't look half bad.

"You can keep them. You never know when I'll need you to walk Bono again, or when you'll be so incredibly tired that you won't make it to your place and will just crash here...", something in me blossomed when she told me to keep the keys. It was one of the most intimate things you could offer a person, besides yourself, and Essie wasn't at that point, yet.

"Okay. Let's see how these have turned out.", we took our first bites at the same time, and were pleasantly surprised. They were soft and cushiony, and they tasted of almond flour and organic maple syrup.

"Not bad for your first try, Robinson.", Essie flashed me a million-pound smile, and I decided that it was completely worth not getting to the studio before everyone.

"Coffee? Or do you have to rush?"

"An espresso. Or should I say expresso? Hah, get it?", she rolled her eyes, but proceeded to fiddle with the coffee machine.

"I have no idea why I even got this complicated contraption, when I like to brew my own coffee, old-style."

"Here, let me. You press this button and then you just have to set the amount of coffee you want.", her phone buzzed over the kitchen counter and she left me to wait for the coffee.

"Who's got you smiling?"

"It's just this guy I met at the gala yesterday. He was quite nice, compared to the rest of them.", this was one of those moments in which your brain started flashing the 'abort mission' and 'retreat' signs.