Day 451

400 Days After Fina by JellOfAllTrades
Chapter 17

I woke up to a loud ringing from my bedside table. Reaching out to grab my phone, I realized the sun has risen and I've probably only gotten a few hours of sleep.

Seeing Angel's name on the caller ID, I groaned and answered it.

"What did you do this time?"

"Ha? Wala akong ginagawang masama?" The faint sound of children talking and playing can be heard in the background.

"Then why are you calling?"

"Mangangamusta lang. Sabi sakin ni Kate may sakit ka?" Her voice sounded concerned.

I rolled to my back and stared at the light fixture on the ceiling. "Magaling na ako. Ayaw lang ako papasukin ni kuya sa office."

"Okay din yun para makapagpahinga ka."

I let out a sigh. I feel better than the other day but somehow worse after what transpired with Mitch last night. "Ikaw, kumusta ka?"

"Okay lang ako. Recess ng mga bata and tapos na ako sa mga gawain ko for the day."

I frowned and checked the time. It's only nine in the morning. "Ang aga naman?"

"Half day lang kami ngayon. May event kasi para sa mga bata pagkatapos ng recess nila."

"That's nice. Got any plans for today?" I inquired, thinking about going out.

"Wala naman."

"Labas tayo? Sunduin kita sa school mo later?"

"San naman tayo pupunta? Saka di ba dapat nagpapahinga ka?" She replied, and then there was a loud shriek in the background. "Gayle! Wag mo kilitiin si Yna!" Angel shouted before lowering back her voice. "Sorry."

"That's fine. Magaling naman na ako. We can just grab lunch and talk about san tayo pupunta mamaya."

"Sure kang magaling ka na?"

"Yes."

"Okay, sige. Mamayang 12 ang out ko."

"Good. I'll see you later."

"Okay, ingat ka."

I ended the call and got up from the bed. My throat is still a little dry but at least I'm not coughing as bad as the past few days. The medicine really worked out well for me this time.

* * *

I parked my silver Volvo in front of Angel's school exactly as the clock struck noon. Knowing she should be out soon, I texted her that I'm right outside the school gates, waiting in my car.

It's a hot and sunny day so the car's airconditioning is cranked up high. While waiting for Angel, I thought about where to take her. Of course, we'll have to get lunch first. Maybe the mall is the best place to go to. Whether she would like to eat at a fast-food or restaurant, a decent-sized mall would have plenty of options.

About where to go after lunch is tricky. We could always go shopping at the same mall, maybe there's something she needs for her apartment. But knowing Angel and her refusal to accept unwarranted help, she wouldn't take anything I would buy for her unless it's something she can buy for herself.

I could take her to Manila Ocean Park. I have an odd feeling she'll enjoy seeing live penguins. But that's going to take the whole day and I don't think it's a good idea for me to be out on such a tiring trip right after recovering from the flu.

As I'm pondering on where to go, Angel appeared from the school gates and looked around the area, immediately smiling upon seeing my car. She rushed on over and got into the passenger seat.