Chapter 47 - The White Light

It's a big fat juicy awesome chapter for you :)

 Al swayed to the music, smiling to herself, with her arms around George's neck. It was quite a reach, as he was far taller than her five-foot-three self. She was so glad she'd got to go with George - he made her feel all tingly and warm inside, like she had found something really good.

 The two revolved on the spot, and Al spied Theo and Daphne doing the same. They looked as happy as she felt and Al watched as Theo whispered something into her ear. Daphne giggled and nodded, and the two of them left the hall hand in hand. Al smiled even more at that.

 All too soon, the Yule Ball was over and the Weird Sisters began packing away their kit as everyone left the hall to go to their dorms and ships and glorified caravans. "Can I walk you back?" George asked her with a sheepish smile.

 "No way," she said with a chuckle, "I am not going to be responsible for the chaos that you would cause!"

 "Well then," he said, stepping closer and putting his hands on her hips, "Can I see you tomorrow?"

 Al bit her lip and grinned even more, "I'd like that very much." And then she stood on her tiptoes and kissed him on the cheek, making his ears turn red. "Goodnight," she told him, walking away and down into the dungeons.

 "Night," he called after her.

 Al was caught in a strange haze of excitement as she headed to the Slytherin common room. It was the first time in months she'd felt completely and totally happy and free. She was so full of joy, that she had to put in a strong effort to stop herself from yelling with glee.

 Not really paying attention, she turned a corner and walked straight into someone, "Oh! Sorry!" she exclaimed, still grasping onto her wave of happiness.

 It was dark, so she couldn't really make out the finer features of the person, but she recognised them none the less. "No problem, Dursley," Higgins told her, stepping closer. He looked around and then said, "It looks like we're alone, doesn't it?"

 Al was getting a little bit nervous now. She almost reached for her wand, but then thought better of it - she didn't want to ruin the perfect night. "Yeah, it does," she said. She waited a moment, and then, "Well, I'm exhausted - better be off."

 She made to walk past him, but he grabbed her arm. Her wand arm. "Having too much fun with Weasley?" he asked, "Didn't save any fun for me?"

 "Let go, Higgins," she said, gritting her teeth and yanking at her arm.

 He chuckled, but not because he was amused, "I don't think I will, actually." Before Al could do anything other than squirm, he plunged his hand into her pocket and grabbed her wand, throwing it to one side. It landed with a hollow clatter, echoing off the dungeon walls. "Duelling captain, Hogwarts champion," he listed, bring his face close to Al's. His breath stank of firewhiskey - clearly he'd been drinking. "But what are you without your wand? Just another mudblood," he spat.

 Al was feeling the gnawing sensation in her stomach growing by the second. She grabbed his arm with her free arm and tried to get him off, but his steely beater's grip was too strong. He laughed again and grabbed her other wrist, before ramming her backward into the wall, pinning her arms on the cool, rough stone. "Get off me!" she shouted, trying to kick him away in a blind panic, but to little effect.

 Then, in a last bout of fight, she screamed at him. She roared in his face, realising she wasn't just angry at him, but also at Harry for the last three years, and whoever had put her name in that cup.

 There was a blinding flash of orange and white light and a bang and Al fell to the floor, bashing her knees on the stone, and panting for breath. She was drenched in sweat, and the cold air made her shiver. She felt like she wanted to pass out or be sick or just lie on the floor and let the feeling of being jellied take her.