Chapter 96

That night as I laid in bed, I didn't know who I was more frustrated at; Sirius, who hadn't told me the truth yet and somehow each time managed to avoid it, or Lupin, who when I plainly confronted him just ran for it.

     Although soon my mood was picked up as the next day the owls arrived with our book lists.

     Ministry cars were soon arranged to pick us up at the Burrow to take us to Diagon Alley and I couldn't wait to go shopping for my school year, knowing that for the first time ever, I belonged at Hogwarts.

     Walking out of the house, we saw that a Ministry car was awaiting us in the front yard.

     "It's good Dad can get us these again," said Ron appreciatively, as we all got into it and magically fitted perfectly, seeing as the inside of it was roomy.

      "Don't get used to it, it's only because of Harry," said Mr. Weasley over his shoulder. "He's been given top-grade security status. And we'll be joining up with additional security at the Leaky Cauldron too."

      And so we drove on and headed for London. I didn't know what to do from excitement each time I thought about doing magic at Hogwarts, which made my stomach lurch happily whenever I imagined using my wand.

     "Here you are, then," said the driver, a surprisingly short while later when we had reached the Leaky Cauldron. "I'm to wait for you, any idea how long you'll be?"

     "A couple of hours, I expect," said Mr. Weasley. "Ah, good, he's here!"

     And sure enough, when we looked up, we figured that the security Mr. Weasley was talking about was our own Rubeus Hagrid.

     "Harry!" he boomed, sweeping Harry into a bone-crushing hug the moment Harry had stepped out of the car.

     "Buckbeak — Witherwings, I mean — yeh should see him, Harry, he's so happy ter be back in the open air —"

     "Hang on," I said, breaking him off. "He's back now?"

     I questioned, remembering that the same thing had happened in the books when Sirius had died.

     "'Course," Hagrid gave me smile. "After Sirius was gone, he obviously couldn't take care of Buckbe — Witherwing, and so he came livin' with me."

     "Glad he's pleased," said Harry, grinning as he massaged his ribs. "We didn't know 'security' meant you!"

     "I know, jus' like old times, innit? See, the Ministry wanted ter send a bunch o' Aurors, but Dumbledore said I'd do," said Hagrid proudly, throwing out his chest. "Let's get goin' then — after yeh, Molly, Arthur —"

     When we walked in, we saw that the Leaky Cauldron was completely empty today, other than its owner, Tom.

      I nodded my head at him politely as we passed through, seeing as Fred, George, and I usually ate our meals there and so he knew us. We were probably one of his few customers those days.

     Walking inside Diagon Alley through the brick wall, Harry, Ron, and Hermione left to buy school robes with Hagrid. Meanwhile I followed Mr. and Mrs. Weasley to buy our books along with Ginny.

     After we all met up again, we decided that it was time to pay Fred and George's joke shop a visit before returning to the Burrow.

     But when we reached the shop, we saw a huge poster, saying,

WHY ARE YOU WORRYING ABOUT YOU-KNOW-WHO?
YOU SHOULD BE WORRYING ABOUT
U-NO-POO
THE CONSTIPATION SENSATION THAT'S GRIPPING THE NATION!

     Harry and Ron started to laugh and we heard a weak groan from Mrs. Weasley as she read the sign.

     "They'll be murdered in their beds!" she whispered.

     "No they won't!" said Ron, who, like Harry, was still laughing. "This is brilliant!"

     Harry led the way inside the shop, looking around in awe. I left them as I walked through, looking for Fred and George.

     "Hey," I said as I reached them. "Everyone's here. Sorry I was late for work. I'll start now, and then stay up a bit later."

     "No, it's alright," George shook his hand.

     "Yeah, we've got this," said Fred reassuringly.

     "But you'll need help —" I tried to say, but I was cut short when a woman's voice said from behind me,

     "There's a customer out here looking for a joke cauldron, Mr. Weasley and Mr. Weasley."

     Turning around, I saw a cute young witch with blonde hair standing there, looking up at Fred and George.

     "Right you are, Verity, I'm coming," said George promptly. "You give Harry and the others the tour, will you?"

     "Yeah, alright," said Fred, nodding as George walked away with the girl.

     "Replaced me that soon, have you?" I said jokingly. "Ouch."

     "Well, we figured seeing as you're leaving us soon and we needed some help around, we had to take someone in."

     "Hmm," I pursed my lips together, watching the blonde girl from afar. "She's pretty."

     "Aha..."

     "No, I mean... she's really pretty."

     Fred turned on me, grinning at me. "You're not jealous, are you?"

     "Who, me? Pfft," I scoffed and shook my head at him. "Lexi Hooper doesn't get jealous."

     "Then why are you acting all weird?"

     "I'm not acting weird," I rolled my eyes. "I'm just stating the fact that she's very good looking."

      "Yeah, you're totally jealous." Fred laughed.

     "I'm not—" I tried to say but I was cut off as Fred leaned down and pressed his lips softly on mine.

     But before I could come to myself and kiss him back, he pulled away, leaving me dazed as he put his hands in his coat's pockets.

     "Don't worry, Hooper." He grinned. "You're the only idiot for me."

     I rolled my eyes again, trying to hide the fact that I was blushing, a smile tangling on my lips as I muttered to myself, "Cheesy Weasley..."