Chapter Five pt 1

Chapter Five

The demon strained his eyes open to sunlight and turned over to see an empty bed across from him. Recollecting his thoughts from the night before, he closed his eyes.

The elf had decided to join him in the hut for slumber and fell fast asleep, curled within the length of his cloak. Gentle breaths moved the fabric up and down in steady rhythm and silver hair lined the side of his face. A cushion of grass propped his other cheek and the small blades moved with his every breath.

There was a pull from his chest when he observed the small being. Peeking through the cloak, the elf's soft fist lay. And by hell the winged creature craved to touch it. Craved enough in fact, he had momentarily readjusted himself to sit up, ready to walk over, until he processed his impulsive movement and laid back down in frustration. He could tell this was the bond calling him to be closer to his partner, but he refused to comply. He knew he would be leaving the elf once he found a way out of the elven territory, and they would never see each other again. What was the point of strengthening a bond that wouldn't mean anything?

His face turned and turned, debating between wanting to look away from any urges, and wanting to look at the elf's soothing face. Eventually, he decided on the latter, breathing in the silhouette of the form, which was now illuminated with specks of moonlight that bore through the trees.

Why him? Why an elf? Interspecies bonds were not often heard of. And a demon with an elf bond is beyond humiliating. He could already hear the laughs and disparage and pity from the other demons if it had been made known that his bond was with a being of light. How would his father react—

He could have easily gone on with his life never knowing of this. Not all demons met their bonded mates. And if they did, they could easily dismiss any care of their bonds and marry another. Bonds were nothing more than an observation, an option. Compatibility within chamber rooms was the only difference observed between bonded demon couples and unbonded ones. But demons were never as strict to enforce bonds like the ever sentimental and dramatic elves who worshiped them.

The demon had noticed a light shuffle from the elf, who had taken a deep breath in his sleep. Ah, his breath. Innocence encapsulated this elf whereas pristine beauty adorned other elves. He hadn't minded sitting on soil while other elves never dared to have a speck of dirt. He hadn't minded showing emotion while other elves maintained a face of puppet-like perfection. He hadn't minded laughing with the demon while other elves scorned at the thought of one. Really, the only similarity to a typical elf he could find in the tiny being was his desire to be with his bond.

How regretful. He was going to rid the elf of the only thing that made him elf-like.

How had the elf thought of this connection? The openness of the elf made it difficult to think he ever disliked the partnership. But why was he so willing? He wanted to stay with him despite it being easy to pretend this union never happened. Without care of the reputation it would give him. Perhaps his elven blood causes him to not discriminate against his bond, despite the race. Or perhaps he was just so desperate for a bond that any partner would do...

Not my problem.

The day had proved that he could find the elf's company enjoyable enough, despite his occasional moodiness. But these times will remain a memory. Their meeting would be just another interaction of many that come in life. Because no matter what, he will leave the elf.

But how will he get rid of him? How will he leave this territory? He left his territory without warning. Would anyone notice his absence? Perhaps they will send someone over to fetch him. But even so, how would they find him?

And what had that elven guard meant?

[I don't think you're aware of what happened in your absence]

Had she really meant what she said? Or was she just trying to intimidate him?

The demon's attention had returned to the elf who turned over in his sleep, his back then facing the demon. Oh that straight hair he wanted to ruffle— Oh not again. He groaned in annoyance and after a disgruntled breath, chose to just observe... observe... obse—

And finally in the late of night, the demon had drifted to sleep.