72 | chain of memories part 5

"Look at that idiot." Jimin deadpans, pointing at Yong Sik. "I don't get why the school even keeps scum like him here. It will only ruin our reputation."

"Money can get to people's heads." I say swiftly and he blows out.

We are currently sitting on a park bench out in the yard. I am drawing something on my sketchbook while Jimin observes the other kids that switch between playing hide and seek and chase. I wouldn't mind joining our classmates, but Jimin said that he wants to be careful with his body because he has to go to dance practice after school and can't afford to have the slightest injury.

Hanging out with Jimin is nice.

Even though we don't have a lot of stuff in common he's still a pretty interesting person. He hates school, just like me but his grades are fairly good. He wants to become a dancer and he likes swimming. We're both athletic and artistic and I appreciate that.

In the short time I've known him, I gathered that he likes being in the spotlight. Not in the flashy, annoying, showing off kind of way. He's quick witted and expressive, which is something I admire. He's also very emotional but he only shows it through his craft. Despite his friendly approach, he can become passive aggressive when things don't go his way.

"I seriously can't stand looking at him." Jimin says, his nails digging into the dark blue paint of the wooden bench. "That scum should have been expelled that day he got our classmates to attack you."

"Relax hyung, he's not gonna bother us anymore." I mutter turning the page of my sketchbook, my eyes focusing on another sketch.

"You don't know that," Jimin retorts chewing his nails. "What are you drawing?" He leans over to get a glance at my sketchbook and I close it in an instant.

"Nothing."

"You're weird."

I lift a brow.

"Don't look at me like that. You were fine with me watching you draw and when you switch pages you're suddenly being shy."

"I'm not being shy." I say. Cautious is a more appropriate word.

"Whatever nerd." The bell rings and I yawn. Jimin extends his hands over his head and stretches like a cat. All the kids head inside the prison-building and when I walk towards the entrance I can feel Jimin's small hand pat my shoulder. "Why are you going inside? We have PE now."

PE. The only class I'm actually enjoying. Well that and art class.

"Let's go change."

We change into our PE clothes that consist of a white T-shirt and red pants and then go out to the court. I lock away my sketchbook in my locker and begin walking in a quick pace since I've been waiting for this moment all day. Jimin hurries after me and doesn't say anything. I suck at all the subjects, but at least I'm good at sports.

"Is there a way for me to not play?" Jimin grunts.

"Come on hyung, this is fun." I smile.

"You call chasing after a ball with twenty other people fun?"

"I don't get why you don't like soccer." I turn to him. "The sport is fun on its own but it's the competition that gets you going you know? The burning determination to win."

"Bo-ring."

"The real fun is strategy. You need to be able to work with others in the field in order to win. You need to be able to read each other's minds with one mere glance or nod as you race after the ball on your opponents goal. Teamwork is key."