Chapter 21

I pulled back from the kiss, gazing up at Logan with wide eyes. Tingles erupted throughout my entire body, causing a pleasurable shiver to run down my spine.

Logan smiled at me, his hand still holding my chin. He stepped back, flashing a row of pearly white teeth.

I had imagined what my first kiss would be like with Logan many times, but my imagination had never expected such bliss.

"Did you want go see her?" Logan asked, nodding towards the door.

"Yeah, I'd like to see how she's doing," I answered, pulling the door open and walking out into the reception to see Theo lounging across one of the reception chairs, his eyes closed.

I quietly walked past him, not wanting to disturb him, and made my way through to one of the hospital rooms.

I opened the door to see a young girl lying in bed, motionless, covered in bandages and a soft thin white blanket. The doctor looked up at me, furrowing her brows.

"Alpha Logan sent me in to question her as she seemed more comfortable with me," I lied, causing the doctor to nod. "How is she doing?"

"Her injuries are pretty severe, it looks as if she was attacked. I've given her some medication to calm her down as she wouldn't let anyone touch her, so she'll be a little woozy for a little while."

I nodded. "That's fine. Alpha Logan suggested I question her in private if that's okay with you?"

"If that's what Alpha Logan suggested, then yes of course," replied the doctor before exiting the room, closing the door quietly behind her.

I gazed at the young girl in front of me, scrunching up my nose at the sight of the blood staining her fresh bandages.

Her injuries were severe, and I knew there was still a possibility she could slip away and give up at any moment, but she was so young, and she had so much life ahead of her.

She gazed at me, furrowing her brows in confusion as she looked around the room, trying to push herself up off the bed.

"No, no, it's okay," I said, placing my hand over hers. "I'm not really here to question you. I just want to know what happened. What's your name?"

"Rosalina Flores," she mumbled, her voice hoarse.

"That's a beautiful name. How old are you?" I asked.

"Fifteen," she replied, closing her eyes.

"What happened?"

Rosalina shook her head, tears welling up in her eyes, threatening to spill over. "Rogues."

"What pack are you from?"

"I don't have a pack. I'm all alone," she said, dropping her gaze.

I shook my head, unable to contemplate how this young girl had been living alone. I wanted to ask her more, but I could tell she was becoming uncomfortable and I didn't want her to start to panic.

I decided to stop with the questions, allowing her some time to take in her surroundings. "I'll leave you sleep. Try and listen to the doctor, she's just trying to help you."

I left the room, giving Rosalina one last sympathetic look before exiting, making my way back to the reception. Logan had taken a seat opposite Theo, who was now sitting with his elbows on his knees; his head in his hands.

"Theo, are you okay?" I asked, furrowing my brows.

Theo's head snapped up, and he rubbed his eyes, blinking multiple times. "Oh, yeah, I'm just tired."

I nodded, giving him a concerned look. "Okay, I need to talk to you."

Logan stood up, running his hands through his hair in aggravation, not liking what I was about to tell Theo. "I'm gonna go back home. Eliza, I'll come and visit you later on."

I nodded, my gaze lingering on Logan's back muscles through his shirt as he exited the building, causing me to sigh. I turned to Theo, smiling at him. "Let's go and talk somewhere a little private."

Theo nodded, guiding me out of the reception towards the corner of the room, leaning back up against the wall and shoving his hands in his pockets. "So, what do you want to talk about?"

I took a deep breath, unsure of how Theo was going to take this news. "I spoke to Logan, he said you can stay."

Theo raised his eyebrows, cocking his head. "Really? What did you have to do to make him agree to that?" he laughed.

I smiled, shaking my head. "You need to pretend to be my mate."

"What?"

"We're organising another Whipping because it really seems like the only option right now and I need-"

"What?" Theo stared at me, his mouth hanging open.

"I know it sounds crazy, but-"

"Are you listening to yourself right now?" Interrupted Theo, taking a step closer to me, his emerald eyes glaring into mine.

"What?" I asked.

"Did you just tell me you're part of organising another Whipping? Are you actually insane?"

Theo's voice was harsh and I took a step back, chewing on my lip nervously.

"Theo, if you just listen to what I have to say and -" I growled, shaking my head.

"What happened to the girl who thought of that tradition and any wolf that abides by it as a disgrace ? What happened to the girl who would rather die than live in a world where that tradition existed? Have you gone crazy? Has Logan actually brainwashed you that much that you now think this is something normal?"

"It's not actually going to happen, Theo!" I yelled, my face turning red. "Just be quiet and listen to me for one second! I know Logan believes this is the only option, so he's going to go through with this no matter what I think. He thinks I agree with him."

Theo furrowed his brows, gazing at me in confusion. "Well, how are you going to stop it then?"

"I'm going to volunteer for my pack. I know nobody else will. He won't allow me to be whipped, so he'll have no option but to stop the event again and let everyone know he's found his mate."

Theo swallowed, his face turning white. "What if he doesn't stop the event, Eliza? What if he just decides to let you go through with it for the sake of keeping you safe? You'll be whipped again!"

"No, he won't let me volunteer."

"If he thinks there's a chance you might volunteer, he's not going to let you come to the event."

I sighed, running my hands through my hair. "I know, that's what I'm trying to convince him on right now."

"I'm willing to help in any way I can."

...............................................................