Chapter 21

Jeno looked at his phone, a message from Mina telling him that she would soon be at their practice room. He looked a Haneul, who was writing some notes down on the sheet of paper in front of her on the piano.

Since the two had finished their main project for the semester, they decided to work on a new song, a ballad. Jeno smiled as he admired his new girlfriend as she played different chords.

"It would be a lot more helpful if you actually tried to harmonize with me." Haneul said, her back still facing him. Jeno chuckled as he randomly played a few chords on his guitar, none of them sounding very good together.

"Actually, maybe you should just stay silent." Haneul said, turning around. Jeno shot her a big eye smile as he put his guitar down, taking a seat on the piano bench beside her.

"You look cute today." Jeno said, brushing a strand of hair that had escaped from her ponytail behind her ear. Haneul blushed as she turned away, putting her hands on the piano.

"Thanks." She replied softly. She still wasn't used to being with Jeno and hope he didn't mind how slow she was moving with their relationship. She played him the melody she had so far, and Jeno helped her make adjustments on the score as needed.

They were working on the main chorus when someone knocked on the door. Jeno got up to open it, revealing Mina and Jaemin standing on the other side. Jaemin took a picture with his flash on, blinding Jeno for a second.

"Surprise!" Jaemin said, grinning from ear to ear as Jeno shot him a death glare.

"Who is it?" Haneul asked, turning from her seat. She smiled as she saw Mina walking in, Jaemin being pulled by the ear by Jeno.

"Ow, ow, ow, that hurts!" Jaemin whined.

"Good." Jeno said before letting him go. Jaemin rubbed his ear, pouting. The two girls laughed at they boy's behaviour.

"I hope you don't mind. I just wanted to write an article about the song you two composed for your project." Mina said as Jeno brought over two chairs for them. Jeno sat back down beside Haneul on the piano bench.

"Yeah sure. Ask us anything." Haneul said, crossing her legs.

"Can you tell me a bit about your song and the meaning behind it?" Mina asked, opening her notebook.

"The song the we composed is an EDM hip-hop synth track titled Quiet Down. The meaning behind the lyrics is encouraging listeners to not be held back by rumors or stories being spread, but instead they should believe in themselves, letting the truth shine for them." Haneul explained. Mina quickly made note of her words.

"I think that's a really important message to spread, expecially with today's society." Mina commented, earning nods from both Jeno and Haneul.

"What was your inspiration behind the song?" Mina asked the two.

"As highschoolers, we often hear a lot rumors being spread around the school that can really be discouraging for some people. We wanted to create a song using our own experiences with to encourage others to not be put down by the words spread around them." Jeno said, thoughtfully answering the question.

"Lastly, I've heard that the two of you didn't record the vocals and rap yourself. Can you talk about more about the singers and the potential of the song being performed?" Mina asked.

"Yes, we actually got Dream to record the song for us as we felt like their voices would fit the song perfectly. Renjun, Haechan, and Chenle did most of the vocals while Jeno, Jaemin, and Jisung did a large portion of the rap but there was a bit of flexibilty in the parts." Haneul told her.

"In regards to a performance, well I guess that would have to be a surprise." Jeno responded with a smile.

"Thank you so much, that's all I have for today. I hope to hear more from both of you in the future." Mina said, wrapping the interview up as she nodded to Jaemin. Jaemin put his camera down, signalling that he had finished recording.

"Thanks for letting me do this." Mina said, closing her notebook.

"No problem Mina, anything for our friends." Jeno responded.

"What are you two working on?" Jaemin asked, peering at the sheet music in on the piano.

"Since we finished out project, we're working on a ballad." Haneul told him. Jaemin nodded as he looked at the notes. An idea suddenly popped into Jeno's head.

"Hey Jaemin, you like writing lyrics right?" Jeno asked. Jaemin stood up straight to face his friend.

"Yeah, why?" Jaemin asked. Jeno handed him a few sheets of music.

"Do you want to write some lyrics for our second verse?" Jeno asked as Jaemin took the sheets.

"Sure, what is this song called?" Jaemin asked as he looked at the music.

"Puzzle Piece. It's about two people who fill up the emptiness in their world, like their missing puzzle piece." Jeno explained.

"Alright, I'll work on it." Jaemin said, collecting the papers together. He looked to Mina who was looking at her notes for her article.

"Let's go?" Jaemin asked her. Mina nodded, getting up from her seat. The two of them waved goodbye to their friends before heading out to the halls.

"I didn't know you wrote lyrics." Mina said as they approached the newspaper room. Jaemin give her a shrug.

"Just a small hobby of mine." Jaemin answered with a smile.

———————————————————————————

*cue bts* FIREEEEEEEEEEEEE