13

A serene quiet blankets the room of Bucky Barnes' apartment, cloaking and comforting me.

The encounter during our retrieval of the suitcase only solidified the decision that it was best to stay at his place. So here I lay, sleepless, on Bucky's bed while he sleeps on the couch.

I feel awful.

"Bucky, are you sure you don't want the bed? I mean, I really don't mind-"

"Ask one more time and I'll throw you out the window"

I sigh, deciding to just accept it. I lay awake for a while, my eyes glued to the ceiling. In all honesty, I'm terrified of sleeping with someone else in the room. I know that I might have a nightmare and I don't feel like going through the embarrassment of waking Bucky up with my screaming.

I can't stop it, though, when exhaustion crashes over me. Before I know it, my eyes are fluttering closed.

"Your refusal to master the gift I have bestowed upon you is only hurting yourself"

I clench my teeth together, working to keep a placid expression upon my face. I can't let him see how terrified I really am.

I'm left crying out in pain, though, when the doctor backhands me.

"You won't use your powers and now you won't talk? I demand respect!" Clayton booms emphatically. I squeeze my eyes shut, still hoping that these years of my life have been one long nightmare and I'll soon wake up.

I know I won't, though.

So I turn to look at the doctor before me, staring into his cold, dark eyes that gleam almost black.

"You don't deserve my respect" I remark. I watch as fury courses through his system, making his fists clench and his jaw tick.

"I could've killed you when we found you, but I didn't" he lilts, turning towards his medical table and withdrawing what looks to be a barb-tipped whip. My eyes widen slightly and I struggle futilely against the chains that bind me to the chair I'm in.

"Don't think for a second that my refusal to kill you and lose your contribution to Hydra means that I won't hesitate to make you bleed"

"No," I murmur as two guards step forward and undo my bindings only to turn me around and force me to my knees. They bring my hands up, chaining me to arm of the chair. I clench my fists, my heart slamming inside its cage. I take a shaky breath in, holding it for a moment before releasing it.

Then the whip burns across my tender back.

"Wake up, Dawn"

I start awake, taking in a gasp of air. Confusion pours over me when I realize that it's day. I feel as though I have just closed my eyes, little to no rest registering with my system. My heart is pounding from the nightmare I was ripped from, but Bucky doesn't seem fazed whatsoever. Relief crashes over me when I realize that I must've been quiet during it. I only wish it was just a nightmare, though.

Nowadays, my dreams are memories my mind refuses to let me forget.

I sit up cautiously, testing how much my body can move. I almost cry in relief when I feel only the slightest tightness. I pull off the cover of the sheet, pleased when I see no pool of blood. I gingerly swing my feet over so I'm sitting on the edge of the bed.