5) His Aid

Ella was pretending that this time off was a vacation.

Her client's husband, James Vanders, had used his power and shut down her practice. Vanders had some powerful people working for him, so he had used the sheriff of the department as well as the owner of the building she was using to make it hard for her to continue to give therapy.

She had been very upset at first. She had some very young clients as well as other very delicate people who she knew needed her constant help, and now she would be unable to have consultations with them. The only thing that calmed her a bit was the fact that they all seemed to be okay with the changes and promised that they would wait until everything was in the clear again. In the meantime, they would be seeing a psychologist that Ella had recommended. They were amazing people.

"Miss Cortesa?" The younger secretary, Ines called for the third time. It was clear to everyone in the room that this entire week, Ella had been majorly distracted and distant. Her eyes would glaze over and she would just stare into space without even budging when her name was being called.

"I'm sorry, Hope. What were you saying?" Ella snapped out of whatever daydream she was in, even though it seemed to be more of a nightmare than anything.

"We were all just about to leave for lunch. Would you like to come?" Ines offered, her purse already in hand.

Ella shook her head, smiling gratefully. In the state of mind that she was in, she would only put a damper in the mood. "No, it's alight, but thank you. Enjoy your meal." Ella stood up to go take some fresh air in the balcony. She needed to snap out of the moping mood she was in. This situation was fast becoming something long-term, so the sooner she adapted to it, the better it would be for everyone.

"Ella?" Kim stepped out with her, a look of worry on his face.

Ever since the whole lawsuit had taken place, he had promised Elizabeth and Timotheo Cortesa that he would especially watch out for the twenty-three year old. He had known Ella since her parents first began searching for an immigration lawyer here in the States. The fact that the Cortesa family had trusted him so much when he had just only begun his late career meant a lot to him. At the time, Ella's parents were only in their early twenties while Jihye Kim was in his mid-thirties. They also had already had Fransisco, and six years later, they had little Ella.

"What are you doing out here? Ines said you didn't want to have lunch with us." Mr. Kim closed the balcony door behind him, ensuring their privacy before moving to stand beside her.

"I'm just getting some fresh air... well, as fresh as it can get." Ella chuckled, and Kim laughed along, feeling much more comforted at seeing her smile. Kim nodded, looking out at the city of Atlanta.

"Have you given it some thought to going to Spain for a little bit?" Kim hated to have to send her so far away from the place she considered home and grew up in, but he couldn't deny that the idea of her leaving for a couple of months might make it easier for her. "Just while the waters calm down a bit."

Ella sighed, her dainty shoulders moving before sagging down as she leaned onto the fence. "No, not really." She pushed some of her black hair behind her ear. "What would leaving even do for me besides make me look guilty?"

"You know I won't allow that," Kim assured, and Ella shook her head. She knew that if she did leave, she would regret not being here to make sure she did everything she could. The stakes were high; she could potentially lose her license to practice psychology.

"Go have lunch, Jihye," Ella nudged his arm that was leaning right beside her with her elbow.

"Ow," Kim flinched, playfully glaring at her bony elbow. "What do you want me to bring you back? A sandwich, a burger, some fries?"