Chapter 20

My breath quickened as I sat across from Mason, who was shooting a hateful glare at me, his arms crossed in contempt. I could barely gasp down the gulps of air my lungs begged for as I doubled over in the kitchen chair my shaking body causing it to wiggle.

Grasping the side of the counter top in hopes of it giving me support was unsuccessful. The look of annoyance Theo had was not helping the situation either. I forced my head up to look at Xavier who was sitting beside me, his eyes filled with joy and a beaming smile across his face.

I couldn't believe this. How could they do this to me? I hadn't done this in years.

I was dying. Of laughter.

Just over an hour was all it took for Mason and Theo to make me feel at home. Their chairs were opposite ours as they sat across the kitchen island with Mason currently explaining a story to me.

"I'm being serious! The first time I met him he gave me that rude look and told me to go back to my best friend." Mason found this hilarious as he struggled to contain his laughter. "It turns out Theo had a crush on me before we figured out we were mates, but was under the impression I was in love with Xavier because we were friends. He told me I didn't need to speak to him ever again and he would leave the pack to live with the humans. Oh, and that I could go back to my lover!"

As Mason came to the end of his sentence, Theo reached his left hand up and smacked him upside the head to which Mason whined and rubbed the spot. "Alright, alright she doesn't need to know anymore about our first meeting." Theo began to grumble under his breath as he recrossed his arms. "It's not my fault you were attached to him all the time."

The laughter flowed freely from my mouth in response to the bickering between the couple. I don't know what put me so much at ease but I had a feeling it had to do with their lack of attraction to females and the fact that Xavier trusted them wholeheartedly.

I turned to Xavier as the two continued, wiping the tears of laughter from my eyes. His expression was full of joy as he radiated that emotion I still hadn't placed, staring at my form. The whole time Mason had told their story I could feel his gaze pierce the side of my head, strangely providing me with a feeling of security.

"I've never seen you laugh like that." He whispered softly with a tone of delight. He turned his head so it angled towards mine, making a strand of hair fall onto his forehead. Automatically the force pushed for me to put it back into place, but I clenched my hand in resistance.

I gave Xavier a shy smile before admitting, "I haven't laughed like that in years."

At first his reaction was calm until the words registered in his head. All hints of contentment were washed away as seriousness took over, the whole atmosphere shifting in just seconds. His face had fallen to be replaced by a look of distress. "In years? What the hell happened to you, Sunshine?"

Hearing our conversation, Theo and Mason's playful banter screeched to a halt as all eyes fell on me. Realizing my mistake, I quickly dropped my gaze and began to fidget with my hands. "I- It's nothing, I would prefer if we didn't talk about it." My face flushed now that the other two had a feeling something was wrong with me. If I didn't have to tell too many I would be much more comfortable.

Theo and Mason's faces filled with worry while their eyebrows scrunched together, however they kept their mouth's shut much to my favour. I would prefer if the subject wasn't pushed and I could get more comfortable with everyone before I began to open up about my past.

I heard a sigh escape Xavier as I continued to stare at my lap, making me chew on my lower lip. I could only hope he would let me do this on my own time and not cause a scene or worse, punish me for not answering his question.